Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Works for Me Wednesday: Figuring out my Blog Stats


Every now and then I post some funny things about the traffic on my blog: how people got here using searches; or the top blogs to send readers my way.

And I've had some readers ask me how I managed to figure all this out. So I thought today, for Works for Me Wednesday, I'd let you in on the secret.

I use Google Analytics. You just sign up with your Google account, which is often the same thing you use to sign into Blogger with, if you have a blogspot blog. But Google Analytics will work on other blogs, too. You have to register your blog, and go through a confirmation process. And then the ugly part. You have to wait a few days before any statistics show up on your page.

But once the information's there, it's really interesting!

Here's the stuff I find most intriguing: you can look at Traffic Sources Overview. They divide the traffic into 3 sources:

Direct Traffic
Referral Sites
Search Engines

I get about 21% direct, 65% referral, and 13% search engines.

It's the referral and search engines I'm really concerned about. With the referral sites, I can see which blogs sent me the most traffic, and what percentage of that traffic was new traffic. So I know where my new readers are coming from!

That's where I get the information every month to award my prize for what blog sent me the most traffic! If you blog roll me, I keep track of who sends me people. And at the end of every month, I send the top blogger a free copy of one of my books! So blogroll me! You just might win!

You can also figure out how long each reader spent on the page. So, for instance, my best readers seem to be coming from Breathing Grace, because they spend an average of over three minutes here! Cool.

But by far the funniest things are the search engine searches. How did people get here? Here are some of my favourite searches:

How to rag hair. One of my most popular posts ever. They're heading for my photo tutorial here.

Pie in his face. I guess that refers to my husband's birthday party.

Hair growing on chin. I feel your pain.

What days do you do laundry? Only on the days that the kids wear clothes.

Fitting room modesty. Don't know where this one was sent to, but personally, I think fitting rooms should have doors.

Husband stinks. Poor girl.

Is university overrated? yep.

And then there's a whole ton of gross ones of various sexual things one can do with vacuums. I'm sure Emergency Room physicians are quite knowledgeable about such items.

So that's how I analyze my blog! I hope it helps you, too!

Thanks for stopping by! I have lots of other posts about marriage, parenting, and more! Why not stay a while?

Bookmark and Share



To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 8:54 AM , Blogger John and Lisa said…

The search keywords are always good for a chuckle! Thanks for sharing about your stat analysis, I'm always curious how others deal with this (I am a relatively new blogger). Now, if I just don't become too obsessed with checking the stats! : )

 

At 9:20 AM , Blogger Jami said…

This is so great and I love your blog. I'll definitely be back!

 

At 10:29 AM , Blogger Kathleen said…

Curious...unless I'm leaving you a comment, I always read your "blog" on Google Reader. Does Google Analytics pick that up as well?

 

At 10:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

How funny!! I have wordpress and we aren't compatible with google analytics, ugh. Though we do have blog stats so its fun to see what searches I get.

I always laugh at the weird ones.

 

At 12:24 PM , Blogger Moore Minutes said…

I am trying this with no luck. I am not sure where to paste the code. :-/ It is a really great idea though!

 

At 9:11 AM , Anonymous The Happy Housewife said…

I love Google analytics, my traffic has a similar pattern. About 13% search engine, 50% referral and 35% direct. I don't check it very often, but it is a good way to see what works for your site and what doesn't.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I can't wait to hear what kind of camera you decide to purchase.
Toni

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails