Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Tackle It Tuesday: My Computer Desk


This is embarrassing. But I am going to let you in on what my computer desk used to look like. Take a gander at this:




And that's not even the worst it's been. But the problem was I had two computers (my laptop and a big clunky one) and a huge printer and a ton of paper. And my filing cabinets on both sides of the desk were full.

So recently I took a day and redid the entire office. We bought this cool new computer desk that looks like an armoire when it's all closed up. But it holds file drawers, binders, paper, and all kinds of stuff. Take a look now:



I just feel so much better. Now I don't always work there. I frequently take my computer into the dining room and work where the kids are. But when I am at my desk, I can find things, and everything has a place.

The neatest thing is how we bought that armoire. It was $1000. But it was also discontinued. So they gave us the floor model for only $497. And it was already assembled. Life is good.

I find so often when I get frustrated about clutter the problem is not me. It's my furniture. I really have no place to put important papers or computer equipment or yarn or whatever it is I'm trying to hide. In my old age I'm beginning to realize that it's better to invest in good pieces of furniture that have storage than in cheap stuff that doesn't. I will never buy anything again that does not have some sort of a drawer. Even my kids' beds have drawers under them!

It's not that we have a lot of stuff. It's just that you want to be able to find it. We do purge quite frequently, but you have to keep on top of it. Even what you do have you won't be able to find unless it's in a logical place.

I feel so much better in my office now. I redid the whole room as a guest room. I've never had a guest room before, but now that we can close the computer away, it looks more like one. We have a futon in there, and I've moved my sewing machine into my closet so that I have a sewing nook. That's not ready to be photographed yet, but after another day of tackling, maybe I'll show you that, too!

Do you need some inspiration today to clean up some small part of your home? Don't fret about it. Just take 15 minutes. Just 15 minutes. You can do it. Even if it's overwhelming, doing little bits in little bites can make the job seem more manageable.

So tackle something today! You'll feel infinitely better.


Bookmark and Share


To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 8:58 AM , Blogger Susie Buetow said…

Nice! How can you work with a clean desk? LOL

 

At 9:00 AM , Anonymous Renae said…

Good for you! We finally bought a flat screen monitor and it makes all the difference. Now to clean up the bookshelves...

 

At 9:45 AM , Blogger A happy heart at home said…

Great job! Nice armoire. I love how you can close it up when you're not using it, and it looks all nice and neat. Maybe one day I'll get one, too! You got a great deal on yours.

~Susan

 

At 9:57 AM , Blogger annies home said…

you should see my computer desk at the end of the day before my neat pick husband takes his turn

 

At 10:28 AM , Blogger Aisling said…

That looks nice. We have a big corner computer unit from IKEA. More or less the same colour as yours but taller and it goes in the corner.

 

At 8:16 AM , Anonymous dominique said…

The desk looks great. My desk is really needing a sprucing up to look as neat as yours.

 

At 2:12 PM , Blogger Bethany LaShell said…

Very nice! Love the new desk & the baskets on top. Don't hate me, but I'm a natural neatnik (I'm ducking as everyone throws their slippers at me). However, I do enjoy seeing how other people declutter & spruce up their spaces. We redid the school room yesterday. Hhhm, sounds like tomorrow's blog post to me!

 

At 2:24 AM , Anonymous furniture home office said…

I have been checking out a few of your article stories and I must say pretty clever stuff. I will definitely bookmark your blog. Thank you very much.

 

At 10:47 AM , Anonymous childrens desk said…

I just book marked your blog on Digg and StumbleUpon.I enjoy reading your posting. thank you very much.

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails