Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Mother's Day: Are You Hitting the Mark?

Mother's Day is just around the corner, and so I think it's time for a Mom's Reality Check!

Sometimes we moms feel too much like we're spinning our wheels!We work constantly, but are we heading in the right direction? Are we really getting anywhere?

In this week's podcast we look at a specific way to measure whether what we're doing is really God's best or not. When we focus on what He wants us to do, we'll always feel energized. If we fill our lives, though, with the "merely good", we'll always feel drained.

I know being a mom is tiring. I've had an exhausting couple of weeks! But every now and then we need to take stock, and ask God if we're concentrating on the right things in our lives. Today might just be that day!

So listen in to this encouraging podcast! It's just a few minutes long, but it may just help you to aim for the best, and feel more purposeful in the process!

UPDATE: Catherine made a really good point in the comments, and I was going to answer there, but I thought maybe it would be better to put the answer here so everyone can see.

I think I used my words too flippantly, Catherine, and you're right. So let me take another stab at it and say what I really meant to say.

I believe that God gives us energy and ability to do WHAT HE HAS CALLED US TO DO. Sort of like the verse in 1 Corinthians 10:13 where it says that there is no temptation taken us that we won't be able to handle, because He always gives us a way of escape. When He calls us somewhere, He provides.

That doesn't mean we don't get discouraged; look at Elijah. But if God calls us to something, He similarly equips us for something. He doesn't expect us to do it in our own strength.

But He doesn't just equip us physically; He also equips us spiritually by giving us peace that we are right where we are supposed to be. Like He says, His burden is light.

I think part of the problem we have is that we take on more than God asks us to. We spend our energy in too many things that He doesn't want us to spend our energy on. And when we're doing what I call "good" things, but not the best, we end up feeling like something is wrong. We don't have that satisfaction that comes from being in the middle of God's peace.

And that's when we often make things worse by trying even harder, instead of just stepping back and re-evaluating. I talk about this concept more in today's podcast, but I hope that explains it well.

If God calls us to something, it is up to Him to equip. If He doesn't, then that's not where He wanted us anyway. Now that doesn't mean that we won't have obstacles, but it does mean that when God puts us somewhere, He says that He will provide. But if we're wandering around somewhere where God hasn't placed us, chances are we're going to waste valuable energy and emotional resources. And I think that's what many of us are doing, running so hard in our daily lives, but missing out on the truly transformational moments that come in relationships.

Does that make sense? I hope so, but if not, comment again and I'll clarify!


Bookmark and Share


To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 8:01 PM , Blogger Catherine said…

Sheila, I love your writing and your blog. However, today I question your statement "When we focus on what He wants us to do, we'll always feel energized. If we fill our lives, though, with the "merely good", we'll always feel drained." What support is there in Scripture for this? Not only does this not "ring true" to me, but I don't think it's biblical. Can you please set me straight?

Catherine

 

At 9:17 PM , Blogger Luanne said…

The concept "if we focus on what He wants us to do..." is very true. This applies to our life as an entity...not just as a mother. Focusing only "merely good" or earthly things and ways...we will feel drained because these things do not fulfill us...only God can.

I look forward to listening to the podcast.

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails