Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Menu Plan Monday: My Issue with Snacks

Good morning, everybody! I am moving very slowly today because I had an extremely gruelling weekend. I want to get motivated to actually get stuff done today, but I'm not overly optimistic.

One of the problems I have with menu planning is that I have all these plans that don't necessarily come to fruition. It's like vegetables. You buy a whole ton all at once because you realize you haven't had any salad in a few weeks, and then it just sits in the fridge rotting because you can't be bothered to cut it up.

I actually love fruit and veggies, and so do my kids. But too often I don't finish all my veggies because I can't be bothered to cut them up when I'm in the middle of a busy day. So let me ask: what do you all do about snacks? How do you get things going more quickly? I'd love to know!

In the meantime, here is my overly ambitious plan for meals this week. I do hope I follow through!

Monday: This will be an easy one. The girls are in a piano festival this afternoon that doesn't finish until 6, so we're taking them out to celebrate.


Tuesday: Beef pot pie. I have leftover beef and gravy from a roast I made recently, and I'm going to make a beef pot pie. I love these! I just mix beef and fresh veggies together, add the gravy and some beef broth, and then put it in a 9x13 pan. Then I cover with two pie crusts. It's not exactly a pie, but it tastes exactly the same. And it's easier to make! And you end up with proportionally more beefy stuff and less pie crust.


Wednesday: Spaghetti. We haven't had pasta in a while for some reason, and it's time we tried again.


Thursday: Lemon Pepper Catfish. Our grocery store sells this with the seasoning already on, and one of my daughters just loves it. The other doesn't, but I'm a firm believer in eating fish every week. And Thursday we'll be rushed because of part 2 of said piano festival, so having something quick I can stick in the oven will help.


Friday: Whole roasted chicken. I've been waiting for whole chickens to go on sale at my grocery store, and they finally did! So we're having chicken. I just put garlic cloves under the skin, and then cover with a seasoning, and it's really really good. One tip: don't put salt directly on the chicken. It draws out the moisture, and then the chicken isn't as juicy.


So that's what we're doing this week! But I'd still love some feedback: how do you handle the veggie/fruit snack problem? Do you pre-cut it? And if so, how do you keep it fresh?


Thanks for stopping by! Why not stick around for a while? I have great posts up on marriage, parenting, and more!

Bookmark and Share

To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 12:42 PM , Blogger Luanne said…

The day you bring veggies home from the store or market, cut them up BEFORE they even go into the fridge. Yes, this talkes a little more time but saves time and moeny later in the week when they are ready to go! I store all veggies in a ziploc baggie in the vegitable drawer in the fridge. They last twice as long!

Also, for veggies to include in meals, like beef pot pie, I use frozen organic ones. Then you just throw them right in...no cutting :) Hope this helps. I love your menu for the week. I never knew that about salt on the chicken..thanks!

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails