Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Who Am I?
I've been writing this blog for just over a year now (I forgot to celebrate my one year anniversary last month), and I thought to myself, "I wonder how many of my readers actually know that much about me?" So I thought I'd share some stuff about myself.

First, the basics. I've been married for seventeen years to my husband Keith, who's a pediatrician, and happily married for about thirteen years. We speak at marriage conferences around Canada about how we moved from the "married" to the "happily married" category!

I've had four children, but only two are with me. The first was a miscarriage, which was far more emotionally painful than I ever dreamed it could be. The second was my wonderful daughter Rebecca, who is 14 and way too pretty. We have recently purchased a baseball bat to ward off any boys. My third child was Christopher, a little baby boy who we had with us only 29 days. I tell the story of my walk through grief in my book How Big Is Your Umbrella?. And then a year later Katie was born. She's my huggy bear, and she's now 11.

I homeschool the girls, and my nephew, and we have a great time. Usually.

I also write and speak. I've written four books, and I'm in two other anthologies. I started this blog really so that people who heard me speak would have a place to go where they could follow along with my life.

When I speak, I don't believe in trying to sound like I have it all together. To me, the point is to share what God has taught me, and point people to Jesus, not to me. I'm busy almost every weekend in the fall and spring, and I just feel so blessed that God has called me to something with so many rewards. I love hearing other women's stories. If you're interested in speaking, I have another blog on those preparing to launch a speaking ministry (or attempting to grow one) right here.

I also wanted a blog where I could spout off about things, and admit my struggles. You may have noticed that last week, Complaint Free Week, I did a lot of that. I think it's good to share the things we struggle with, if only to encourage other women.

And I knit. Not as often as I'd like to lately, but I love knitting. It's my lifeline.

So that's all about my personal life! But there's more to me, too, and that's my books, because I poured my heart into them, and shared some things that God had been impressing upon me. I thought over the next little while I'd share about a different book or resource I had every few days, just so you get a better picture of who I am and what I do. And you never know--maybe you'll find something that will really help you, too!

Let's start today with my first book, To Love, Honor and Vacuum: When you feel more like a maid than a wife and a mother. A lot of moms feel like everybody takes them for granted. They're worked off their feet, and people don't seem to understand the toll that takes, or want to pitch in. This book helps us reconceptualize our jobs as moms and wives. It's not to be anyone's slave; it's to manage the home well, encouraging respect from everybody. Sure it's a lot of work, but if it's draining you, chances are you're worried about the wrong things, raising kids who don't help, or fostering a marriage where you're not really partners. Here's a video explanation:




You can purchase it for $16 Canadian (which works out to about $13 US), and I'll autograph it for you!










Or buy from Amazon:


Or find out more here.

I believe that it can transform your marriage and your relationship wtih your kids!

And so that's a bunch about me. Can you let me know a bit about you? Do you have kids? How old are they? Do you work outside the home? I'd just to love know a bit about some of my readers!

Bookmark and Share


To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 8:58 AM , Blogger Nancy said…

I just found your blog a few months ago and have enjoyed reading.
I have been married to my husband Mark for 12 years. He is a Paramedic. I am a homeschooling, stay-at-home mom to Krista-almost 11, Kendrick-9, Kara-6, and Kaylee-nearly 5. I am also very involved in the children's ministry at our church.

 

At 9:56 AM , Blogger LauraLee Shaw said…

Hi Sheila, I always enjoy your material, and it was great to learn more about you. My son Austin is almost 14, and I do believe in arranged marriages, so, tell me more about your daughter again? My daughters AnaLee & Allison are 11 & 9. I homeschool 3 days a week, and they go to a classical Christian academy 2 days a week. My hubby Brian and I have been married for 19 years.

I led kids' worship for 20 years, and God recently led me to stop. It's been hard. But since I obeyed His call, He's been growing my writing/devo ministry, as well as giving me some speaking opportunities. My ministry focus is to encourage believers to live God large in every moment or circumstance. He has also called me to go on a 2 week ministry trip to Cambodia in November, where I'll lead the kids in worship and teaching there. Scared, but excited.

Going back to purchase the book, Sheila. I've been wanting to anyway. Thanks for taking the time to encourage moms, wives and ministry leaders.

 

At 10:25 AM , Blogger Unknown said…

Hello! I'm Ann (aka Annabelle @ Christian Momma). I started following your blog after the AWI conference in March. I have enjoyed reading and finding out more about you (and the other speakers as well).

Let's see...more about me? I'm a stay at home mom of 4 boys. Which is awesome since at the age of 16 (after a car accident...which I have realized I've never really posted about...ahh...I see a new blog post!) that I wouldn't be able to have children at all. God healed my body and allowed me to have children! (funny story about that...I'll have to post about it).
Michael (my oldest) is going to be 12 this summer, Noah (my "middle" boy) turned 8 this past fall, Daniel & Andrew (my twin "surprise" boys) just turned 4 in February.

My husband, Kevin, and I have will be celebrating our 15th anniversary in July! We have moved a lot...both grew up in OH, moved to CO after Michael was born, moved to MN after Noah was born, them moved back to OH before I got pregnant with my twins).

Wow, I've typed a lot...I think I'll quit now! You can go here: http://www.christianmomma.com/about/ and learn more about me. If I didn't answer anything you want to know, just ask! :D

 

At 11:38 AM , Blogger Jamie said…

Hi, Sheila!
I just want to start with saying, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I just recently found your post and I enjoy reading it so much. I really appreciate your honesty.
Well, about me, I'm a homeschooling mama of four precious (or is it precocious) kids, Maggie, 8, Sam, 4, Olivia, 2 1/2, Judah, 7 weeks. So very happily married to my hubby, Patrick, who just strives to make me feel like his queen everyday.
Blogging is my recently discovered "thing", giving me the chance to journal and enjoy life's everyday pleasures and discoveries.
(mehanfam.blogspot.com)
God has really been developing in me the desire to develop our family and home into something that is pleasing in His eyes, so I really enjoy reading your blog. Thanks for making me laugh in the process!

 

At 2:20 PM , Blogger OhLookADuck said…

Hello Sheila!
I can't remember how I found your blog, but I've been encouraged by it for several months. I've heard one of your podcasts and gotten a couple of your books (Umbrella and Vacuum) so far.

I love how you are straightforward and don't try and be politically correct. Sometimes things are just hard and we have to face it. That right there is encouragement to me!

About me? I've got 6 sweeties, two are now grown and out of the house--both daughters (27 years and 22 years). We've homeschooled for 23 years so far and the ones left home are my 16 year old son, a 14 y/o son and my 12 y/o twins--a son with Down Syndrome and a sweet daughter.

I am quite the sidetracked person and struggle with consistency on a moment by moment basis, but God is good and always fills in the gaps.

Thanks for blogging. I never miss it.
Karen

 

At 7:23 PM , Blogger Sande said…

Ahhh .... now I can't get that Casting Crowns song out of my head. "Who Am I, That the voice of all the earth, would care to know my name, would care to feel my hurt" .... there's irony in the timing of this question though cus He has been reminding me Who's I am; His friend, daughter, lover [oops. can I say that here {grin}]

But you didn't ask that so from the outsider lookin in, I am married to a builder and together we had some babies. And found that we liked it so we had some more and then some more and twenty years later they still seem to be moving in; there were ten kids walking around here last time I counted from age 18 down to 1 year old. We learn together through loving and living. God is weaning me from cultural protocols in life and letting me taste life reacting to His truth .... scary, exciting, exhausting but wouldn't have life anyother way. Been spoilt for the ordinary really.

My obsessions, err, pastimes are writing, music and building/renovating houses and people through a menagerie of methods.

Love reading others journeys like yours as you brag about their Papa and remind me of the indescribable substance of who He is and that we are made in His image ... don't that just blow you away?

 

At 10:32 PM , Blogger Karen said…

I can't remember how long I've been reading your blog, but I bought two of your books last year and have enjoyed/been encouraged by both of them.

I am Canadian/American, married to my Scottish minister husband for 13 years this year. We have two living children, a girl age 10 and boy age 7. I've miscarried several times, more times than I really want to count, but I am oh so thankful for the two lovely children that the Lord has given me. I home school, look after (as much as I can) ageing parents, and seek to be a helpmeet to my husband.

I like to cross-stitch, and I'm learning to knit. Knitting is so much more car-friendly than cross-stitching (until the blanket gets too big), and we travel often.

 

At 9:23 AM , Anonymous Barbara H. said…

I don't remember how I first was led to your blog, but I have been enjoying it for several weeks now.

I am 51, have been married for 29 years, have four boys ages 24, 21, and 15. They're all still home, though the middle one is getting married in August. I love this stage of life where they're not as dependent as they were as toddlers, yet no one has left the nest yet.

I coordinate our ladies' ministry at church, write a monthly newsletter for it, and my husband and I keep up the missions closet at church for visiting missionaries to go through and choose items they might need.

I just got back into cross stitch last year after having laid it aside for several years -- and I need a lot of magnification to see it these days!! I've also been dabbling in making cards. Reading is my first love, though, when it comes to hobbies.

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails