Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
What Do You Think of This Money Advice?
A dear friend of mine had her washing machine die on her. She needs a new one.

Her husband wants to buy a stacking front loader set like the one I talked about here.

This does make some financial sense. It uses about 1/3 of the water of a normal washer, and they use a well which is in an area where it may run dry this summer. It uses a lot less detergent, and a lot less electricity. Because the clothes are spun so well, they don't need to be dried as long, an important factor for us Canadians who can only use a clothesline for a few short months.

But, and here's the big but, they may need to purchase a new vehicle soon. So what should they do?

We talked about this for a while, and here's what I came up with. Don't buy a cheap washer (which is what my friend was at first inclined to do). The front loader does make financial sense. But maybe not right now. Instead, for $150 go buy a second hand washer that may only last two years. In two years, when the vehicle question is settled and they're in a better financial position, then you can buy the good appliances.

I tend to support spending money on quality appliances because they can work so hard for you, and the right ones can be cost effective. But it is a big price tag at the beginning.

So what do the rest of you think? How would you resolve this issue? And laundromats aren't a possibility, even short term, because they live out of town and it just isn't feasible.

Thanks!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 7:43 PM , Blogger Precision Quality Laser said…

Well, without knowing all the particulars, here is what I have to offer in the way of advice.

Is there more than one appliance store they could purchase the washer and dryer from? If so, they could play the stores against each other and see which one can give them a better deal. My husband spent 2 HOURS going back and forth between 2 stores to get me a beautiful, brand new, front-loading washer and dryer set, free delivery and free installation for $999. And we paid cash. Most other places we saw had that same set for close to $2000.

Scenario #2:
Buy a used front-loading model, or a scratch-n-dent one. Purchase a used car as well. Let someone else suffer the depreciation of the vehicle...lol!

I think your advice is great as well. I was just throwing my two-cents in. :)

Blessings!

Mrs. Q

 

At 8:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

Amen, Mrs. Q, about buying a used vehicle. No one "needs" a brand new vehicle. (But maybe you just meant 'new to them'.)

Obviously, not knowing all the details, I may be way off base here. But my first concern would not be how they solve the laundry dilemma, but how they are addressing the apparent financial problem

If they are having trouble handling credit, then it's really not going to make any difference in the long run what they do about the washer.

I don't mean to sound harsh. I don't know the 'big picture', and your friends may be very financially responsible. However, I would encourage your friends to look at the 'big picture', if that is what is needed. Far too many people dig themselves into a deep deep hole with credit, and I would address that issue first.

Julie

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails