Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
I Am a Bear

And not a nice bear in a berry patch. A mean bear on steroids.

Ever since I hit 35 I have just been awful just before-that-time-of-the-month.

A year or two ago I explained to Katie what happens to women every month, and how sometimes this can make you grumpy. It was around the 30th of the month at that time.

So she thought for a moment and said, "Wait! I bet that means you were starting your period on the 12th!" And without another word she ran up and fetched her calendar.

She proceeded to tell me with vivid detail how grumpy I was that particular day.

And the horrible thing was that she was right.

It's now almost three years since I hit the 3-5, and I'm still really feeling it. It's almost like I'm stepping outside of myself and I can watch myself become irrationally frustrated, but I can't do anything about it.

Even trying to pray is difficult.

Anyway, I'm leading up to this to say that today I have been a bear. I have yelled at my kids for a little tiny reason, but not enough to justify my anger. I have resented my husband when he tried to help me with dinner (he made it sound like I couldn't handle it because he recognized my mood and the source of it, and no guy should ever do that). I am mad at the world. And I am so looking forward to tomorrow when I all I have to deal with is cramps!!

Anyone else ever have bear days? Please tell me I am not alone!

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 7:58 PM , Blogger Jeni said…

Yes, I am DEFINITELY a bear at certain times...usually for a full week before. I've always had trouble, but I noticed a big increase in symptoms after I had my daughter. That's not good, since I need all the patience I can get when dealing with my independent and too-big-for-her-britches 18 month old!!

 

At 9:16 PM , Blogger Unknown said…

Hello! I'm so with you on this one - smiles! In fact, when mama bear shows up is normally my cue that the cramps are coming, and soon!

 

At 9:51 PM , Blogger Zaankali said…

Thank you for being so brutally honest! This is me completely and I have also started telling my girls so that they know it isn't them it is mom on hormones and I hate it but I don't seem to be able to fix it. I am so glad you shared tis because I have other friends that can't relate at all and that is so frustrating to me because some months I feel like I am losing my mind.
Huge hugs sent your way!
Smiles!

 

At 10:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

Hi Sheila! I am visiting tonight from the link on your Reality Check. So glad I came because I can totally relate to this post today. I tried to be a "fun mom" to my kids this morning and let them play with finger paints. Oh Lord! Then I completely freaked out on my 5 yr old when she wiped her hands off on my new dish cloth! I know! A stinkin' dish cloth!!! It was so not worth it. She's not old enough to understand PMS, but I did sit down with her and the Bible and share with her my struggle with anger and we prayed together. What else can I do...I refuse to make excuses for it. :)

 

At 10:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

You are not alone! I have been in a hormonal upheaval since sometime in 2005. I have been pregnant and/or nursing for almost 3 consecutive years with at least one more ahead of me. I totally agree that it is like an out of body experience to watch yourself act like such a bear and not be able to stop it. Thank the Lord I have a sweet husband who tries to act like he doesn't notice it. I actually look forward to the day in the future when I only act that way once a month insead of unpredictably throughout each week. :)

 

At 11:10 PM , Blogger Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said…

I can so relate to this. I have been on edge this week and on the verge of Bear.

 

At 2:10 AM , Blogger Laura said…

Oh I can totally relate!!!

 

At 8:28 AM , Blogger Sandy said…

Hi Sheila - surgery for me years ago so no more "bear" days for this Mama! :)

 

At 2:14 PM , Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said…

I can totally relate to this post. I actually was so bad that I went to the doctor about it, and was prescribed Sarafem. I'd say that it makes me 80% better to live with, versus not taking medicine. That might not be the right solution for everyone but I am thrilled to have found something that does the job.

 

At 12:50 PM , Blogger Debbie J said…

You are not alone! But my situation is that I'm going through the big "M". My nerves are so on end lately!

 

At 5:25 PM , Blogger Julie said…

Sheila,
I am in the throes of peri-menopause, (50 years old) so I understand hormones. When I was 42 I was really bad. I started using natural (bioidentical) progesterone cream. It made all the difference in the world for me.

Now a days I have a wonderful doctor who helps me balance the hormones as my body shuts down it's baby factory. All I know is that I have found it to work brilliantly and I was really struggling with depression, inability to handle stress, hot flashes...etc. I feel like a different woman.

I use the bioidentical hormones, that which is identical to what your body makes. They are natural and the body absorbs them well, balancing things out. It makes life so much easier. If you're interested, I'd be happy to tell you more.

I just know this. Hormones are powerful and when they are spiking and falling, it must makes life harder to manage.

Hope my story helps some. I am SO thankful for the help I have received.

Have a blessed day,

A recovering bear,
Julie

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails