Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Tackle It Tuesday--How to Stop Feeling Fat!

This isn't really my tackle. It's my mother's. But here's how it started.

She is ripping up her floors to put down hardwood, and all her stuff had to be moved. Her house was a disaster. It came time to put it back together, and I told her she needed to get rid of stuff. She could combine two closets into one and then have another for storage. So the girls and I decided to get rid of some of her clothes.



We purged 147 items. I'm not kidding. She had a dress she wore in 1981 that is too small for me (and I'm a size 6). It looks great on my 13-year-old, but if she wears it I'll have to lock her up. She had the maid of honour dress she wore at my aunt's wedding in 1969. She had stuff that was too small. Stuff that was too big. And stuff that fit but made her look like a tent. So we took it all out and just left her with stuff that--GASP--actually looked good on her.


WHY DO WE WOMEN FILL OUR CLOSETS WITH STUFF THAT MAKES US LOOK LIKE CRAP? Excuse the language, but you know what I mean. You buy that hoodie because it's "comfortable", even if it makes you look like a 14-year-old serial killer. Those pants were the only ones you could wear after child #3 was born, but they do make you look like a pup tent. You have fourteen pairs of sweat pants. You have pants with elastic waists you wear as dress pants. And you look awful in every single one of them.

And then there's the "wish" clothes. The ones that are too small, but you'll get back into them someday.

Why keep them? They take up space, and every time you open your closet door it's like a neon sign telling you "You're Fat!". Why not get rid of them? If you ever do lose the weight, you can get a new wardrobe!

I think all of us have far too many clothes anyway. Far better to have seven outfits that we feel great in than 45 that make us feel like slugs. I actually don't have that many clothes, but I look great in everything. I purge constantly. And I know I'm a size 6, but I also have no chest, so it's not totally easy to find clothes that make me look shapely. So often I buy stuff on sale because it's a bargain, get it home, and realize it really doesn't fit. It's not a bargain if it makes me feel ugly.

If clothes make you feel lousy, why wear them? Toss them. No matter how much they cost.

And that's what we're doing with this mess in my car. It's all going to Goodwill or to a consignment store. But it's out of Mom's closet. And that's a good thing.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 9:09 AM , Blogger The Apron Queen said…

I'm tackling my taxes. Take those ugly clothes to Goodwill... feel good for donating charity & a tax write off! Can't beat that! :D

Come check out the progress of my Enchanted Sunflower Forest.

Confessions of an Apron Queen: http://anapronaday.blogspot.com

 

At 10:52 AM , Blogger Karen said…

Your lucky mom, getting new hardwood floors!

http://karensopinion.com/2008/04/01/tackle-it-tuesday-4/

 

At 11:56 AM , Blogger Tanya Breese said…

Great post, so true! What a nice daughter you are to do your Tackle Tues at your moms!

 

At 5:12 PM , Blogger Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said…

A dress since 1961! Wow. And a bridesmaid dress no less. Double wow.

 

At 12:25 AM , Blogger Carletta said…

That is so true! One day it occured to me that if I didn't have any clothes that made me look like a slob, I couldn't wear anything that made me look like a slob.

Since baby #3 was born, the "serial killer" hoodies have crept back into my closet. I need to do another purge.

Thank you for this post!

 

At 12:10 PM , Blogger Darci said…

My friend had the grand idea, of having a clothing swap! We've had one and I loved it. I found a great sweater and rid myself of at least 6 items.

 

At 12:21 PM , Blogger Connie said…

I have been working on this for a couple of months. I am about to do the final purge and in one week I am getting on a plane, and going to Dallas where I will be buying a new wardrobe that fits! I will also be visiting my family but I am so excited about the shopping spree!

 

At 8:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

This is a great post-thank you!
I have been working on this for some time now and letting go of the "when I lose the weight" and "I spent so much money on this" mentality. For me it is as much a spiritual cleaning as a physical one.
Thanks again
Amy

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails