Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Being Responsible with your Money

As women, one of our primary responsibilities in the home is to be responsible with what we have been entrusted with.

That includes our kids, obviously. We should raise them, discipline them, teach them to be independent, and teach them about God.

It includes our homes. We should care for them appropriately (make them comfortable, not perfect), invite people over, and ensure our family members have a good place to relax. And by the way, that means you, too. Make sure you have candles by the bath after a long day!

And we should be responsible for our money. A big theme on many of the mom blogs I read is learning to live within your means. It's practical, biblical, and necessary. And I love the comments on my previous post! You moms obviously get that. And feeding a family of 6 on $325, as one woman wrote! That's awesome. (And yes, someday soon I will share more about the cloth pads, since you asked :) ).

But in the past few months we've witnessed the federal government and the Democrats running for President talking about the need to bail out those homeowners and banks who took on risky mortgages. I don't understand why we want to penalize responsibility and reward irresponsibility.

With that in mind, I loved McCain's speech early this week on the crisis. Here's a part of it:


I have always been committed to the principle that it is not the duty of government to bail out and reward those who act irresponsibly, whether they are big banks or small borrowers. Government assistance to the banking system should be based solely on preventing systemic risk that would endanger the entire financial system and the economy.

But read the whole thing. I think there's an important principle there for us who want to make sure our kids have a solid financial footing as they grow!

And for all those who were responsible and didn't take on a risky mortgage, I'm sure you would like to see housing prices fall back down to a reasonable level, right? Well, they won't if the government bails out these mortgages.

I find the whole thing tremendously sad, because I do feel badly for those who made a poor decision and now may lose everything. But at the same time, that's the way the world works. And the sooner people realize that, and learn to live on a budget, the better it will be for everyone.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 12:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

I sure don't see why the government should bail out anyone who bought too much house, or used interest only loans or loans with teaser rates, etc. to get into their next house. Probably not a very politically correct statement to make. I remember a life insurance salesperson trying to interest us in an interest-only loan mortgage, and I told him that he had a terrible product, and how could he live with himself selling something that was so bad for a customer. That was about 7 years ago.....

 

At 2:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

I really think we need to fix the bigger problem first - how can we make a more responsible person so that he/she will know about these issues.
When a family who has struggled most of their lives goes into a bank and learns that they can have a home for the very first time - these loan officers prey on them and get them into situations they normally would not be placed in.
We can't always blame the person getting the loan. The banks are equally to blame at the least.

It's impossible to find a solution for each family that is best for them, which is really the sad part.

 

At 2:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

Aw, you linked to me. I feel special now. :)

A family of 6 on #325??? WOW!!! I've got to meet this person! I wonder if she lives in a cheaper place than the DC area.

We just notice yesterday that we were for sure getting the stimulus check this Summer. We've got to talk about it, but I'm thinking of saving it or investing it. We'll see.

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails