Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Housekeeping with Toddlers--It Will Get Better!
Brownie at Running the Race is feeling defeated and lazy because her housekeeping skills aren't up to par.

I wish she could have seen inside my house when the kids were little!

It was hard to keep everything together. I was tired all the time. It seems like a blur.

Now the kids are 10 & 13 and the house is completely different. They clean a lot! And I’ve discovered I like cleaning. But that’s because it’s possible to keep it clean when the kids are older!

The inner housekeeper in me did not emerge until the kids were much older. But it did emerge. It just had to wait until the days were over when:

1. The kids would roll around on the bed as soon as I started to make it.

2. They would pile the clean laundry in the living room up like a pile of leaves and jump in it.

3. They would write on the walls.

4. When I told them to clean off the walls they would also use the soapy water on all the books in the bookshelves.

5. When I took the markers away they would paint on each other with sunscreen.

6. They dropped popsicles on the couches.

I mean, what's the point of cleaning when that's going on around you?


Eventually, though, things change. The kids themselves even clean! On Saturday, during chore time, our kids cleaned for the third week in a row without fighting! The kids and I all take about two hours, and by the time we're done it's spotless. The kids know how to clean everything now.

Of course, Katie likes to clean while wearing a gymnastics leotard, a skating skirt, and a formal hand-woven shawl, as in this picture, but as long as it gets done, what do I care?

So hang in there, all of you who have toddlers! Just try to create a home where people can feel comfortable, and where you have time to love and appreciate each other. The other stuff will come with time!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 2:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

Thanks for keeping it real Sheila! I posted some of my own dirty laundry today so new moms can see it isn't all a walk in the park! Popsicles on the couch...LOL

 

At 2:42 PM , Blogger Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said…

Thanks for your honesty and for the hope that it at least gets somewhat better!

 

At 6:19 PM , Blogger Sita said…

Hi Sheila,
Just popping by again courtesy of Lysa's blog comments! Yep, I remember those days. Ahhhh...oops,[totally horror stricken!] just checked my living room...my BOYS are 10 and 14...oooh...hope noone decides to drop by. I'm just grateful that Who He says I am determines who I am, and not my housekeeping abilities or lack of it! My last post actually addresses it.
Blessings...
Sita (Quizzing mom-do u remember me?)

 

At 9:18 AM , Blogger Elspeth said…

Yeah, you're right. It is hard to keep a clean house with a toddler in it. And mine LOOVES to roll around on the bed when I'm trying to make it or when its newly made. It doesn't look quite as made then, you know?

 

At 12:21 PM , Blogger Sandy said…

Yes, thank goodness our kids grow up! LOL!

 

At 4:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

LOL! I blog about this sort of thing all the time. I live half in toddler-land and half in pre-teen boy land . . . daily challenges run amuck!

Blessings,
Shera

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails