Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
The TV Woes
We've lived without cable for 10 years now. It is so wonderful.

I don't mean to sound preachy, because I'm honestly not in real life. I have many many many vices.

But we quit cable because I was watching too much TV. When the kids were younger I was leaving it on just to have noise in the house. And it's so great to have kids who never ever watch TV or ask to. Not even when they're at their friends' houses.

I found that I was going to bed every Thursday night totally depressed, and my husband would try to draw me out and talk to me, and I would yell at hiim for being an insensitive clod.

And then I realized that the reason I was depressed had to do with television. I had been watching ER every Thursday, and that just wrecked my mood (and our sex life)!

My kids don't know anything about American Idol, or Lost, or Survivor. But they read a ton, and they have hobbies, and they play games together. They're also on the internet too much, too (it's a family vice), but on the whole I think they do more things than they would if they were glued to the box everyday.

Anyway, we do save money having no cable, and I really find I don't miss it. You can watch so much online now, and you can rent movies from the library.

I know many women who would love to get rid of the TV but their husbands won't go for it. I wrote an article on this for Marriage Partnership a while back, which you can read here. And if you want to know the stats on why you may want your kids to quit TV, you can read this.

But then, maybe I should quit the internet...

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 2:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

Hi Sheila,

I came to your blog because we have the same blog designer and I like to see what other fun blog designs she has come up with. (Sorry, didn't mean for that to sound like I'm trying to rub elbows or something. Very posh you know, we have the same deesigna.)

I enjoyed this post! When my husband is away the T.V. stays turned off. Over time he has turned it on less and less mainly because he has seen how our oldest son thinks the T.V. was made just for him.

Abiding in the Vine!

 

At 9:42 AM , Blogger Elspeth said…

I am one of those whose hubby would never agree to get rid of tv. But you're right. As I have begun limiting the time I spend and the children spend watching, he is watching less as well. We don't watch nearly as much as we did even 6 months ago.

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails