Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Menu Planning Monday--And Self-Recriminations!

I developed a great menu plan last Monday. It was wonderful. It made use of food I already had in the freezer. It required a minimum of grocery shopping. It was healthy. The girls loved it.

And do you think we actually ate any of it?

Everything seemed to go wrong last week when it came to dinners. One night Keith was called out unexpectedly, and I hate cooking just for the three of us. So we had breakfast foods for dinner. It was easy and quick.

Another night we went out to a restaurant with a friend who was in town suddenly.

Another night we had an unexpected meeting where they had pizza.

But here's the thing. We still had a nice week, but I felt like we missed something.

And that something was the stuff we always do after dinner. We usually read the Bible together, and some poems, and just talk. And last week we had the "Holy Week" Scriptures we were going to walk through, with different readings everyday leading up to Easter. We only got one done.

It made me realize once again how important it is to eat dinner together as a family. That's when the real STUFF of a family happens--the important conversations, the knitting together of your family with its unique indiosyncracies, the times when you figure out who you are together. And it's the special time when you can breathe into each others' lives.

You know those studies that say that when you eat dinner together, your kids are more likely to get A's, less likely to get involved in drugs or alcohol, and less likely to get involved in crime? I believe it.

Going out to dinner with friends is fun, but then we miss our traditions. How much better it is to sit around the table and really bond.

So I'm going to repeat my menu plan from last week, with a few changes. But this week, I hope to actually do it!

Monday: Whitefish in a Weight Watchers cornmeal batter. Apparently this tastes just as good as a regular batter, but it doesn't have that many calories or fat. You just roll it in cornmeal and some herbs, stick the whole thing in some milk, and then roll it in the cornmeal and herbs again to make a thicker batter. Then broil like usual. Sounds yummy! I'll use whatever fish they have fresh.

I'm trying to do fish once a week, and find a recipe that the girls like. I'll tell you how this turns out!

Tuesday: Pork Tenderloin in maple syrup & dijon mustard. Now this is yummy. Just roast the tenderloin in the oven with a marinade of syrup & mustard. Doesn't take very long, and it's really tasty. And tenderloin is good for you!

Wednesday: Ham and Scalloped Potatoes. My family's favourite. I make the scalloped potatoes a low-fat way. It's our compromise.

Thursday: Chicken-Rice Casserole. I just add cream of chicken soup, some leftover chicken gravy that's in my freezer, veggies, a bunch of rice, and leftover chicken. Mix it all together, cover with breadcrumbs and shredded cheese, and cook at 350 for half an hour. The girls love this, and always ask me to make it when we have company.

Friday-Sunday: I'm away speaking at a women's retreat this weekend! I'm looking forward to a blessed weekend, and I'm very excited about the talks I've prepared. I'll write more about them later. But in the meantime, my plan with all the dinners is to make double while I'm cooking, so the rest of the family can just heat stuff up while I'm gone. That's the thought, anyway.

Especially since I'm away this weekend I want to spend some time with my family during the week. So I better make these dinners happen!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 8:43 AM , Blogger AnnMarie Brown said…

Your menu looks delicious! This is my first time stopping by your blog and I loved it!

 

At 8:49 AM , Blogger Connie said…

Great looking menu!

I have had really good luck with the Weight Watchers recipes.

We have a tradition of taking a walk with our little one's after dinner and we wouldn't miss it for the world!

Have a great week!

 

At 9:28 AM , Blogger MaryLu said…

My first time here too. I read your comment over at Lysa's blog and thought I would stop by.
Your books look like something I could really use.
I'm adding you to my reading list and I'll be back.

 

At 11:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

We had the same kind of week-good intentions gone bad. BUT I'm back on track. Hope your Easter was wonderful.

 

At 3:00 PM , Blogger Laura said…

Have a great week Sheila!

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails