Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Why Don't Kids Read?
According to The National Endowment for the Arts, in their study, "To Read or Not to Read: A Question of National Consequence."

● Only 30% of 13-year-olds read for pleasure on a regular basis
● The average American between the ages of 15 and 24 spends only seven minutes a day reading and half never read for pleasure
● 38% of employers find high school graduates deficient in reading comprehension
● Corporate employers spend $3.1 billion for remedial courses; state employers spend $221 million annually

I find that really sad. When I was young my best friends were named Anne, Lucy, and Laura. I met them in books, and they have stayed with me to this day.

Perhaps it was because I was an only child, but books were my refuge.

We started reading to our daughters when they were six months old. Before bed, I would curl them on my lap and we would look at a board book. They would hit the pages, and that would be it.

By age 1 1/2 we had graduated to actual paper pages, which they figured out how to turn, and often we wouldn't really get through the story because they were turning them so quickly. But they still loved books. They wrecked a ton of them by chewing them, tearing them, and writing in them. But they were their friends.

My oldest daughter could read just before age 5. She has always been an avid reader. Not so my younger daughter. She loves listening to books, but reading them on her own has always been a struggle, until the last few months. This is how I found her this morning when I woke up:


Kids need to read more and watch TV less. We need to start limiting screen time and getting them both reading and outside running around. Spring's here, so it's a perfect time to start a reading challenge.

Why not set a goal for your kids for how many books they can read by September? My kids are each working on 25. So am I!

Our problem is that once we start, it's hard to stop. I tend not to make meals, or talk to anyone, if I'm engrossed in a good book. So I need to learn a bit of balance. But reading is great for everybody, and it lets you share experiences together. Let's turn our kids on to reading. It's a great gift to give them.



↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

I couldn't agree more! It's hard to know why kids don't enjoy reading? My husband and I are both readers. My youngest is learning to read and enjoying it quite a bit. My oldest is not nearly as enthusiastic. We are not giving up though!

 

At 7:31 AM , Blogger Mom2fur said…

I read to my kids all the time when they were little. My daughter, now 23, is a good reader. The three boys, not so much. My youngest will read any novel relating to a movie or a video game ("Halo" books are his favorite), but that's about it. He does read for school, though. We've had some interesting discussions about such books as "Of Mice and Men" and "Lord of the Flies." The oldest one (25) reads science-type books (like stuff on string theory) that are waaaaay over my head, LOL! The 21 year old reads for college work, and that's about it.
My daughter is the only one who reads for the sake of enjoyment, but I hope the boys find that pleasure in life, too. Me...give me a cup of coffee, a few pillows and a good book and I'm in heaven.
BTW, I know Ann and Laura...but who is Lucy? When I was growing up, my literary friends were named Bert, Nan, Flossie and Freddie--I was a HUGE Bobbsey Twins fan!

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails