Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
I Am Sick of Seeing Naked People!
A friend of my husband's told him that we would just love the TV series "Rome". Keith is really into military history, and as homeschoolers we're always looking for interesting historical dramatizations.

So he lent us the DVD set of the first season for us to watch. First, the good. It is extremely well done. Great set, great costumes, so realistic it's amazing. A lot of research went into that.

I don't know whether to put this in the good or bad category, but it's very dark. The way they treated slaves, the attitude towards sexuality and marriage, the occultism, all very hard to take in. But that's what Rome was like. It made me think again about what it must have been for Jesus to be born into that time period. In many ways it was far worse than today. At least we have the benefit of a Judeo-Christian history!

And maybe even worse than Jesus would have been Paul's missionary journeys. At least Jesus stayed in Israel. Paul went abroad to where things were so depraved it's hard to imagine. So it's difficult to watch, but that's not necessarily bad if you're trying to get a realistic picture of things.

But I'll never watch another episode anyway. And here's why. There are naked people everywhere. They have sex scenes like crazy, and even when they don't they do full nudity. Both Keith and I had to take turns covering our eyes or looking away (they don't limit the nudity to females, either).

I know they were trying to show how depraved Rome was, but they could have done that without the superfluous nudity. They could have made people look very loose without actually having to show them actively in bed with someone, if you know what I mean. So we'll never find out what happens to all these characters, because we're not watching it anymore.

I hate it when producers ruin a series like that. I have more thoughts on this later when it pertains to children, but even for adults, if they had just left that out I could have stomached it. Maybe they put it in because that's the attraction for many people, but I think they would have had a broader audience if they had tried to make something that you could at least show to teenagers, if not children.

Anyway, I feel kind of dirty now. Remind me never to take advice on what shows to watch again from someone who doesn't share my values!

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 4:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

I could not agree with you more! I love your blog I just found it and your writting is amazing. The second I get home im going to order one of your books they look good and informative. Thanks!

Kelsey

 

At 6:45 PM , Blogger Wifeof1Momof4 said…

Just makes you want to take a bath doesn't it? Several baths ..

I know just what you mean. Shame.

 

At 9:02 PM , Blogger Lydia said…

I always hate to reccomend books and movies to others JUST IN CASE they don't share my views or in case I've forgotten about a particular scene in a movie or book. It goes two ways, though and I'm always very wary when others recommend stuff. You just never know...I'd suggest checking the Christian review sites online.

 

At 3:52 PM , Blogger Precision Quality Laser said…

Sometimes even if that person does share your values, it can still be a show you don't enjoy. I have had friends rave about a movie and then I see it (thinking it is going to be good) and I am left wondering why I wasted time watching it in the first place. Most TV shows are like that now. The sad thing is, we are becoming desensitized to the violence and twisted sexuality because it is EVERYWHERE! We don't have cable because it is too expensive and I know I could very easily become addicted to the convenience of always having something to watch on TV. I struggle as it is with just four channels...LOL! I am finding that TV as whole is just not very satisfying or uplifting...

 

At 9:13 PM , Blogger ChristineMM said…

I was wondering if HBO would do to John Adams what they did to Rome.

I've watched John Adams through part 4 and so far. In part one, there was a tar and feathering that besides being violent, included stipping a man bare with brief full frontal nudity. In part 3 or 4, I can't remember which, when Abigail visits John in France they have a very passionate yet clothed (short) love making session---too much to show my kids due to the body movements being shown, albeit no nudity.

I was wondering if John Adams would be okay for kids to watch...

My husband said NBC is declaring a new schedule and that the 10pm hour will be the adult viewing hour and 7pm will be 'family viewing'. I wonder what 'adult hour' means??

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving comments!

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails