Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
30 Hour Famine
Across Canada, starting today, World Vision is hosting the 30 Hour Famine.

And what is the famine? Teens choose not to eat for 30 hours and then get pledges to raise money for World Vision.

My daughter and my nephew are participating in this, and they're really excited (though they're about to eat a whole ton of waffles for breakfast to get them ready)!

Africa has touched Rebecca. We've visited an African orphanage there twice, and it made such a difference in the way she sees the world, and her compassion for others. I've had to really teach her to save her money recently because she's so prone to donating all of it away. I guess that sounds like I'm bragging (perhaps I am), but I'm just very proud of her.

Most kids haven't been to Africa, but the Famine is such a wonderful idea because it gets the kids thinking about what they have here in North America. And it gives them an inkling, if only for a few hours, about a part of what these kids go through.

Of course it's not the whole story, and Rebecca knows that. The childen she met in Africa weren't just hungry; they were also abused, and abandoned, and scared, and alone before they were rescued. Many had been without food for days, too, but during those days they'd also had to walk miles and miles to a different town, looking for work. They had to use energy. It truly is heartbreaking.

The whole thing starts at noon today, and if you live in Canada and want to donate, even $5, you can do so online securely right here. I know Rebecca would really appreciate it!

And in the meantime, I'm going to watch her try to fast! Starting tonight she'll be at our church, playing games, watching videos about poverty, and talking about the world's needs. We'll pick her up tomorrow night. I hope she makes it!

Bookmark and Share



To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Labels: ,

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails