Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Your Feel Good Story of The Day
Okay, so here's the setting:

An 11-year-old boy in Thailand is going to his first day of school. He's autistic, and he's never been to school before.

He gets there and feels overwhelmed and scared. So it goes out to a third floor balcony and starts dangling his legs over the edge. His mom and the teachers can't coax him back inside.

They call the fire department. One of the firemen who arrives is Somchai Yoosabai. He assesses the situation and sees that they're getting nowhere. But in the meantime, he overhears the mom talking to the boy about the comic books he likes.

So here's what happens:

Overhearing a conversation between the boy's mother and his teachers about his love for comics and superheros, Somchai rushed back to the fire station to change into a Spiderman costume before swinging into action.

"I told him Spiderman is here to save you. No monster will hurt you now," Somchai said. "Then I told him to walk slowly toward me. I was very nervous that he might have slipped if he got too excited and ran."

Somchai, who keeps costume of Spiderman and a Japanese superhero Ultraman to liven up fire drills at schools, said the teary-eyed boy broke into a smile and started walking into his arms.


Isn't that awesome? I can just see the picture in my mind.

But here's why I like the story. First, it shows an enormous amount of compassion on the part of everyone for a little autistic boy.

Second, the firefighter went above and beyond. Nowhere in his training did they tell him he should wear superhero costumes to connect with autistic children, I'm pretty sure. But he assessed the situation and went above and beyond. He thought outside the box.

No one would have blamed him if he had just stood there, hopeless and helpless like everyone else. But he didn't. He thought hard, figured on a potential solution, and acted on it. He took initiative.

Isn't that what we all need? People to take initiative and do what's right? I think that's awesome.

By the way, it also shows how much kids yearn simply to be at home. But that's another story!


Bookmark and Share


To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 10:46 AM , Blogger Precision Quality Laser said…

What a great story! Thank God that fireman was willing to go above and beyond and to think outside of the box!

 

At 11:16 AM , Blogger Katy-Anne Binstead said…

I can appreciate people who home school and their reasons for wanting to do so, however, I do believe the statement "children just want to be at home" is very much in error. I addressed that statement today on my blog.

http://americannaussie.blogspot.com/2009/03/children-wanting-to-be-at-home.html

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails