Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Works for Me Wednesday: Getting Rid of the Television

Have you ever gone to bed at night and just felt that your day wasn't well-spent? You have this list of stuff that you would love to do, including simple things, like playing board games with your kids, or taking a walk with your hubby, but it never seems to happen.

A few years ago I was feeling like this quite a bit. But I was also feeling depressed a lot when I went to bed, especially on Thursdays.

And then one night it hit me. On Thursdays I watched ER. And that was a depressing show!

Around that time I read the book The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. Great book! Not written from a Christian perspective, but with truths about human nature and family that are truths nonetheless.



And one thing he said that really stuck with me is that we can divide everything up into four categories, based on whether things are Important or Urgent. So you have your Important/Urgent, like going into labour, having your son arrested, having your husband walk out. Then you have your Urgent/Not Important, like answering the telephone, even if you're reading to your kids. And there's your Not Important/Not Urgent, which is basically your time wasters, like television and video games. This is where we spend most of our time.

But the time that really matters is in the Important/Not Urgent category. This is stuff that is so important to do, but there's nothing pushing you to do it. Stuff like spending time with your children, spending time with God, spending time with your hubby. And if we don't do these things, then we're going to find there are more crises in our lives.

The more we do these important things, the fewer problems we will have.

And I read that, and looked around at my life, and realized I as wasting most of it on TV. At that time, my husband wasn't home a lot. He was doing his residency, and I was often home alone with the babies. The TV became my lifeline. But I realized it wasn't a good one, so I quit watching, cold turkey. It's been 10 years, and I don't miss it at all. And I was a soap opera addict, drama addict, everything addict.

To a certain extent, blogs have replaced TV, and I have to be careful I don't let that take over. But it's a step I've never regretted making.

My children aren't into TV. They play instead. My husband and I do stuff together. And it's wonderful.

If your hubby would never consent to getting rid of TV, you can still stop watching yourself. But I'd encourage you to think about it. TV wrecks family life. Why let it into your house in the first place?

Thanks for stopping by! Why not look around a bit? I've got lots of posts on marriage, parenting, and more!


Bookmark and Share




To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 10:31 AM , Blogger Katy-Anne Binstead said…

TV really only "wrecks family life" if you are one of the people that doesn't know where the off button is or how to use it. We don't have cable, but do let our kids watch dvd's and things like that. But the thing can be switched off and unplugged without very much effort at all.

 

At 12:07 PM , Blogger Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said…

Yup! So true. So true. We have a TV but it's used for controlled movies that we choose to watch when we choose to watch them. We don't sit and watch any sitcoms, game shows, soap operas, sports, nothing. In fact it was my husband who wanted to get rid of cable over 5 years ago. And like you said, computers "could" take that place if you let it. Everything in moderation. Well not everything but you know what I mean!
Great post and blessings to you!
Kim

 

At 5:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

It's important to have the right balance in your life. Since our lives are so hectic, my wife and I schedule time to watch our favorite shows together. It gives us time to relax and reconnect.

 

At 6:09 PM , Blogger The Beauty Bargainista said…

Hey Sheila!

I wasnt sure if you got my commen a few posts ago about your giveaway. I just wanted to make sure you got my email address so I can send you my mailing address. It is caidencefaire@yahoo.com

thanks so much!!!!
--Nikki

 

At 7:02 PM , Blogger Megan said…

The advice I always give to newlyweds is to not watch tv for a year. One response I got was, "What?! What do you guys do, TALK?"

I'm not joking.

We do rent or borrow particular tv shows on dvd, and I don't regret that in the least. We control when we watch it and never feel any urgency to turn on the tv.

 

At 10:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

By choice we don't have a TV. We have chosen to do without one. When we did have one we chose not to purchase cable so we basically watched dvds or videos. If we should ever get one that is within our budget then we will again not purchase cable and watch dvds or videos. I like not being distracted by it. I loved HGTV and Foodtv but I love no distraction more.

 

At 11:24 PM , Blogger apple blossom said…

We've been married 23 years and never owned a TV.

 

At 9:49 AM , Blogger Mrs. Anna T said…

We don't have a TV and are so happy about it. An aquarium is more educative, interesting, and soothing. :o))

 

At 10:10 AM , Blogger Kathy Butryn said…

Hi there Sheila!

I've just found your site today! What a delight to visit. I live "just down the road" in Toronto, so it's always a treat to meet another Canadian in a speaking ministry!

Have a great day, and I look forward to coming back!

 

At 3:26 PM , Blogger Lauren said…

Ugh...you know that thing where God's trying to tell you something, and you keep seeing the topic pop up everywhere you look? This is one of those times. We are a TV-addicted family, and I want to change that. We're getting ready to move out of state and I'm praying that in moving to a new house we can make the transition to less TV as well.

 

At 4:10 AM , Blogger Not Your Average Mom said…

Its funny, I too have been seeing this topic everywhere, it seems, ans feel like God is knocking on my door and telling me to listen up!
I told my kids about a month ago that from April - October we would be going on a TV "fast"...only using it for movies. They all semi-agreed with me, thinking that April sounded very very far away. Now that they have about 2 weeks left, panic is setting in.
We really are a TV addicted family, but my hubby and I are determined to change that this summer. Thanks for another great post!

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails