Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
The Real Teletubbies

This is the kind of story that gets my blood boiling:

Family claims they're "too fat to work", so they live off of welfare in Britain and do nothing but watch TV and eat junk all day. And now they want more money to buy more food.


Both Philip Chawner, 53, and his 57-year-old wife Audrey weigh 24st. Their youngest daughter, Emma, is 5ft 3in and weighs 17st, while her older sister Samantha, 21, is 5ft 9in and weighs 18st.

They haven’t worked in 11 years, claiming their weight is due to a hereditary condition.
Instead, the family spend their days in front of a television borrowed from a friend.

Mr Chawner said: ‘We love TV. It’s on from the moment we get up. Often I’m so tired from watching TV I have to have a nap.’

Yet of their £22,508 a year in tax-free benefits - equivalent to a £30,000 salary - Mr Chawner said: ‘What we get barely covers the bills and puts food on the table. It’s not our fault we can’t work. We deserve more.’


How about getting rid of the TV and starting to walk? And maybe eating some vegetables?

Why is everything now a disease? They are "suffering from obesity", as if they're victims.

Now I know some people have a much harder time losing weight. My husband comes from a large family, but everyone is working hard to control their weight, and Keith's doing a great job! But he deliberately watches what he eats, and he jogs. It's not fun, but he does it, because he has to. I, on the other hand, tend to be on the thin side, though my metabolism is catching up with me with age. So I'm starting to exercise more, too.

When we tell people it's a disease, it's like saying they can't do anything about it. Yes, you can. Certainly it will be harder for some people. That may not be fair. But it's life.

Deal with it.

Bookmark and Share



To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 11:04 PM , Blogger Jenni said…

Wow...just, wow. I am disgusted on so many levels.

 

At 11:43 PM , Blogger Christian said…

Very clever title for your post, maybe I shouldn't be, but it has me laughing out loud!

 

At 11:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

It is just another excuse for being lazy. The USA isn't far behind.

 

At 2:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

I am right there with you. I feel the same way about alcoholism. My sister has MS--a very real disease that she never had a "choice" in...it's demeaning to those that have real diseases.

 

At 5:52 AM , Blogger Elspeth said…

Wow! Just when I think I've heard it all...

I agree with you by the way.

 

At 7:52 AM , Blogger Sarah R said…

Let me just say, I'm fat. Yep, I sure am. I also have high blood pressure, and I just got tested for diabetes. I also have three children, care for my youngest son who has autism, and my husband is a truck driver so I do it all on my own. I'm also a part time college student. But I work. There's no excuse. Being fat *does not* exclude one from being a productive member of society.
Awesome blog, btw. First time delurker, lol.

 

At 12:53 PM , Blogger Tricia said…

I can't agree more. I am not heavy at all...good metabolism I guess. NO ONE has the excuse like that, unless they really do have issues (thyroid, something like that). It makes me sick that people act like that. I saw a clip on tv the other day about this woman in the United States who weighs 600 lbs and want to be 1000...SICK!!!!

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails