Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
I'm at a Marriage Conference!
Speaking at one, that is.

I'm in beautiful Kelowna, British Columbia, where my husband and I will be presenting seven talks this weekend. That's a lot!

Kelowna's a three hour time difference from home, but so far we're holding up okay. We're staying at a gorgeous resort. I think that's the best part of speaking; getting to travel and sample different hotels!

Tonight the two talks are on the Five Threats to Marriage. Keith and I are delivering the first one, and basically the two ones we're talking about are Unrealistic Expectations going into the marriage, and Difficult Adjustments once you're married.

And we all have unrealistic expectations, don't we? But the interesting thing about expectations is that we don't realize we have them. We think that's just the way the world works.

So naturally he will want to be affectionate all the time without expecting anything in return. Naturally once the kids come he will stop going out with friends and he will spend evenings playing with them. Naturally he will stop watching TV once we're married so we can take long walks together. Naturally he will do half the housework.

And then you get married, have kids, and he doesn't do any of these things that are "natural". And you think the problem is with him. But really you just came into the marriage with expectations he didn't share!

Chances are he has expectations about you, too. So how do you negotiate these things so that they're not problems anymore? How do you learn to love him and experience love from him, even if he doesn't act exactly the way you thought he should?

Well, here are some past posts that may help on that:

Speaking his Love Language
Made for Each Other
Wifey Wednesday: When he doesn't want what you do (just keep reading!)


Gotta run now and get my microphone set up! I'll post my column tomorrow; my main computer isn't hooked up right now so I can't get access to it.

Have a good weekend!

Bookmark and Share


To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 4:35 PM , Blogger Tiffany said…

I hope you have a great weekend! I love going to marriage conferences/classes. It really helps get me focused again and challenges me.

 

At 5:36 AM , Blogger Warrior Chick said…

Hi Sheila,
Awesome! You are doing what I hope to be doing sometime in the future. My husband and I started facilitating a marriage course last year, and are now coming to the end of our 2nd run. We are loving the interaction with couples, and and are definitely feeling that God has led us into this arena. Sometimes I think "Who are we to speak about marriage- there are many better qualified..." but then I remember there is a generation coming behind us, and they need to learn how to do great marriages too! All the best!- Juliet.

 

At 5:40 AM , Blogger Juliet Fieldew said…

Ooops, just posted my comment while logged into my daughter's account! Here's my comment again!!

Hi Sheila,
Awesome! You are doing what I hope to be doing sometime in the future. My husband and I started facilitating a marriage course last year, and are now coming to the end of our 2nd run. We are loving the interaction with couples, and are definitely feeling that God has led us into this arena. Sometimes I think "Who are we to speak about marriage- there are many better qualified..." but then I remember there is a generation coming behind us, and they need to learn how to do great marriages too! All the best!! - Juliet.

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails