Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Balancing Tipped Scales: How to Major on the Majors



You know that saying, "The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing?".

Or, another way to look at it, "major on the majors; minor on the minors."

Too often in our homes we major on the minors. We concentrate on cleaning and laundry and looking like we have it all together and don't focus on God, and relationships, and the things that ultimately matter.

So let's talk today about how to "major on the majors".

We're going to look at Chapter 4 in my book To Love, Honor and Vacuum, which focuses on Balancing Tipped Scales.

Heart of the Matter Online has been doing an online book club of the book this fall, and I'm following along with them. Even if you haven't read the book, or the other synopses, do read with me today, because I think this will help you!

Here's what Lori, who's running the book club, says to start off:



This week as we make our way through the book, we are looking at “Balancing Tipped Scales.”

I had to laugh out loud. It’s in the first paragraph of this chapter that Sheila speaks of, “sitting down relaxing, you may stare off into space and, in the process, notice that your walls need cleaning.” HA! It’s not the walls that I noticed in a recent “relaxation” moment, but rather the glass on the front door. The sun was shining in so perfectly that it ENHANCED its desperate need to be cleaned! I could mind you, clean from dusk to dawn. Dusting, mopping, wiping, Swiffering, but I will certainly not be any happier, right?

We all want contentment really. How can we balance those scales that tend to tip us in the direction of constant cleaning? SCHEDULES, is what Sheila suggests. Schedules will ultimately free us from the “bondage” of housework. It will free us to explore the other gifts and talents that God has so generously bestowed on us. Not to use them is a waste.

The New Priorities Model

What exactly is the “New Priorities Model?”
Shelia suggests that if we begin “block at least fifteen minutes throughout the week in three different renewing areas- two from “Relationship Care,” two from “Personal Care,” and two from “Spiritual Care,” then we will begin to see a balance approach to our lives. (page 71)


Now I know that scheduling may be the last thing that you want to do. Does that make it sound like I'm making you even more into a drill sergeant than anything else?

But that's not the aim. Instead, I think it's liberating.

Here's the point: if we don't schedule stuff in that's important first, it won't get done. If you decide that at some point today you're going to read your Bible, you won't. Something will always get in the way.

If you say to yourself, sometime this week I will go to the gym, you won't. There will never be a free moment.

If you say, "I will play a game with my child this week when things are quiet", you won't. And then you'll feel guilty about it afterwards.

Do you see what I mean?

And if you don't do these important things, you're going to start to feel very exhausted. Because it's these important things that feed our souls. When we're not caring for ourselves, and caring for our relationships, but we're only caring for our homes, we're never going to feel fulfilled.

So here's what I want you to do with your schedule: Don't write in everything you have to do. I don't care when you do the laundry or make your dinner or vacuum. What I do care about is that at least a few times a week you write in when you will talk to God; when you will spend some quiet time with your hubby; when you will relax (because that's important too!), when you will have fun with your kids. Plan these things, and fit everything else around them.

Let the important things have prominence. Know when you're going to do them. And everything else can follow.

Major on the majors.

That's not so hard, is it?

So what have you been putting off doing? Exercising? Talking to God? Spending time with friends? Decide today that you will do it this week, and then plan it!

And in the book I also offer creative ways to meet some of these needs. If you're not a Bible reading kind of person, there are other ways to hear God's word. If you want to relax but you're not sure how, I have some great ideas in there, that don't cost money and that don't take too much time! And I have strategies for how to exercise, even with small kids!

Read the rest of what Lori wrote here.

But I have a special offer for you: If you purchase To Love, Honor and Vacuum from me today, I'm going to give you a copy of all the charts that appear in the book so that you can make your own Priorities Schedule! And I'll even throw in the chore charts, too!

It's just $11 US + S & H. That's less than the usual price of $13, but I'm giving a discount for those of you reading along with this online book club!

If you've been wanting To Love, Honor and Vacuum, but you haven't gotten it yet, why wait? I really think it will help you feel more fulfilled and purposeful as a mom!







Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 9:30 AM , Blogger Tami @ This Mom's Delight said…

Thanks for posting this. I have the book, and was getting great insight from it, and then I put it down. That doesn't make any sense! So, I'm going to pick it back up and read 15 minutes daily, until it is finished...and of course, apply as I go.

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails