Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Works for Me Wednesday: Curing Hiccups


I'm going to be very practical today on Works for Me Wednesday!

My family and I are experts at curing hiccups because we get them all the time. Seriously. When I was pregnant people used to laugh at my stomach because you could see the babies hiccupping as my tummy jumped every few seconds.

And my 11-year-old gets them at least once a week.

So here's how we banish them. We have two methods that almost always work:

1. Take a glass and fill it with water. Now, drink out of it upside down and backwards.

If that doesn't make any sense, let me explain. Go stand over a sink. Go to drink the glass of water, but instead of drinking out of the front of the cup, the side closest to you, drink out of the back of the cup. It means you have to bend over the sink with your head ducked low.

Now, take as many tiny sips as possible as quickly together as possible without breathing. When you just can't sip anymore, stop, but don't breathe until you feel like you're going to pass out.

Presto. They'll be gone.

2. If that doesn't work, here's the backup. But for this you need help. Have someone feed you the glass of water (you can drink it right way up this time). But while you drink it, taking the same tiny sips as quickly as possible like above, plug your nose with your forefingers and your ears with your thumbs. It looks ridiculous. It really does. But plugging your nose and your ears changes the pressure in your head each time you swallow, and helps get rid of them.

There. It really works. So next time you get the hiccups, you know what to do!

Thanks for visiting! Why not stay and look around a little? I've got Wifey Wednesday up today, and lots more! And don't forget my Christmas podcast.

Bookmark and Share






To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 8:20 AM , Blogger Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said…

We usually have a spoonful of peanut butter and that works, too! :D

 

At 10:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

Any chance we could get a video tutorial on that? :o)

Blessings, Whitney

 

At 11:21 AM , Blogger Mel said…

oh yes a video tutorial is good, i am trying to figure out how to do that exactly...i will also have to try the peanut butter too

 

At 11:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

another vote for a video. ;) The method I use is similar; take three small fast swallows, then one large one. Sometimes I have to repeat once or twice, but it always works for me.

 

At 12:53 PM , Blogger Jane Anne said…

My boys would love to try to cure the hiccups this way! I can just imagine the watery mess. :)
I may have to try this out next time... maybe infront of my husband so he can get a good laugh.

 

At 12:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

We have always used a spoonful of sugar, usually followed by a sip or two of water. Nearly always works, but may need to be repeated once. My son has developed a taste for eating sugar from this cure. Gross!

 

At 1:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

Thank you thank you! Nothing more aggraviating (and embarassing) than hiccups that won't stop.

 

At 2:03 PM , Blogger Land of Lovings said…

My 4-year-old gets them constantly! I discovered the best cure for her one day at naptime.

Poor girl couldn't sleep from all the hiccuping so all of a sudden I got very serious and said, "I'll help you get rid of them but first I need you to hiccup right now." She looked equally serious and tried as hard as she could to do it. No luck. Cured them immediately. We both started giggling about how silly it was!

 

At 6:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

Drinking upside down is the same way my mom taught me to get rid of hiccups. It really does work.

 

At 6:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

As fun as it may seem to try these here is something that may work.

We get the hiccups b/c we are cold. Put on a sweater or cuddle up in a blanket.

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails