Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Tackle It Tuesday: Trying to Decorate
I've been trying to decorate around here. I've decided to take a different area each week for the summer and just move around stuff and tidy things up, and get a box ready for Goodwill.

So last night I tackled my music room. I had lovely ceramic flower arrangements on my piano, but they didn't match the decor. They're sort of retro now, but my grandmother had them, and they meant a lot to me. So I moved them to my bathroom around my bathtub. I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier.

I know now fewer people will see them, but everytime I do I think back of visiting Poppa & Dorothy (his new wife) as a teenager, and relaxing in their home, and reading, and laughing, and enjoying wonderful meals. All these thoughts come flooding back, and when Poppa finally died, these are the first things I grabbed (that's another horrible story; let's just say that my grandfather's step son who now owned the house had a 1-800 Got Junk truck in the driveway of his house within three hours of arriving in Ottawa to loot the house. I took what I could get quickly).

So they're meaningful to me, but not to anyone else, and they didn't really look that great. Here they are now:

Sorry the picture isn't better, but you can really see them when you stand in the bathroom!

Then, on the piano, I moved some old books that we had stacked in a bookhelf haphazardly. I also moved my grandfather's Hummels, which seemed to blend with the decor better than the flowers did. So here's my piano now:

I'm still not completely satisfied with it, because obviously I need a lampshade for the lamp, and it would be nice to be able to get rid of the metronome and that silly book decoration thing between the hummels, but it houses my mailbox key and glasses, and it's the best place to put it, since it's right near our front door. So sometimes you need compromises!

Here are the books we moved so you can see them better:

They're just old novels. They're not worth anything, but I like them. The main thing I collect is old textbooks. We even use some in our homeschool!

So here is the bookshelf now that we removed some mess:

The middle shelf is a mess, but that's our devotions shelf. Every morning we all sit in the music room and grab our Bibles (there are about 10 on that shelf in different versions) and read. It's a lovely time together, so the Bibles need to be close at hand.

Anyway, that was my tackle. I'll have to do the basement sometime soon, and that's truly scary!

Thanks for dropping by! Why don't you stay a while? I've got posts on mothering, schools, marriage, and tons more!

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 8:48 AM , Blogger Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said…

Looks good! I would say keep the metronome...looks like it "goes" with the old books and Hummels. You may be sick of seeing it, but I think it looks nice where it is!

 

At 9:20 AM , Blogger Brenda said…

I think it all looks great. The vases look really nice on your tub!

 

At 10:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

Good tackle. Inspiring.

We have a devotion shelf too. If we didn't I would never find the current book.

My boys tackled our plactics kitchen cabinets.

 

At 1:15 PM , Blogger Tricia said…

Very nice tackling. We just moved into our house so I am trying to still make our new home feel like home. So lots of decorating is going on.

 

At 3:04 PM , Blogger Karen said…

It looks so nice. Here is mine.

 

At 5:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

I have several sentimental items from my grandmother that I will always find a place for in my house as well. I'm an over decorator, and my sweet mother has been helping me to simplify. You're decorating looks great! Not too much to take in at once with good "themes". I agree abotuthe metronome.

 

At 6:50 PM , Blogger Sandra said…

Oh you did awesome on that tackle, want to come tackle my house now? LOL

I love old books :)

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails