Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Why Do We Hate Work So Much?
I've been in such a grumpy mood for the last few days because I have an article due tomorrow! It's actually an interesting and challenging article, and I love writing. I was ecstatic to get the assignment. But now that the time has come to write it, I've been stomping around and mumbling under my breath.

What is it about us that hates work? Some forms of work I actually enjoy: I don't mind laundry, and doing dishes while the music is playing softly can be relaxing. But on the whole, give me a book and a bubble bath, and I'd be infinitely happier.

The weird thing is that we often feel great after we've completed something. Work has its rewards, and not just monetary ones. To go to bed, bone tired, after a long day of cooking, or working, or cleaning, is satisfying. You know you have used your time well, and you're proud of yourself.

Why do we disdain that so much? Why do we try to get out of work as much as we can? I know my daughters do whenever there are chores to be done.

And yet work came before the fall. Work was always part of God's intention for us. We're not supposed to just sit around and do nothing. Certainly there are times when we all need rest, but that should be the minority, not the majority.

I know several women who are horrible housekeepers. That's not in and of itself a bad thing. I wasn't a great housekeeper when my kids were little, either. But as some point you have to make an effort or you get depressed. It's terrible living in the midst of chaos.

And it's the same thing with other areas of our work lives. We need things to keep us busy in a productive way.

Of course, right now I am procrastinating doing my final edit on my article by writing this blog post, but I know the article will come, and now that I've spent several hours on it today, I can't figure out why I thought it was worth worrying about all week. It's come along fine, I'm quite happy with it, and I will very much enjoy seeing it in print and receiving the cheque.

So let's be happy when we have work to do! It means we have a task in this world, and that's something to be grateful for, not something to grumble about. Right?

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 8:10 AM , Blogger Elspeth said…

Why? Because we're lazy that's why!! LOL! And I think we hate living under the tyranny of what we "should" be doing. Hope the article's a great success.

 

At 5:38 PM , Blogger Tracey said…

It may sound corny...but when I have a lot of housework to do and DONT want to do it....I IMAGINE THAT I AM GOD'S HOUSEKEEPER...and how would I like it to look for HIM! Since it's all HIS anyway and HE'S just letting us use it for awhile!

 

At 11:07 PM , Blogger pedalpower said…

Wow, Tracey has a great method there!

A couple of great posts on work! I tend to want to sit down and read or knit and see work as something to get through so I can get to that point. As my kids were growing up, I tried to help them think about the work as being a wonderful thing to have, but I'm afraid I didn't really succeed. I see my BIL modeling that attitude all the time though. He loves getting out and doing the chores and taking care of things. I'm striving for that kind of attitude.

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails