Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
When Children Perform...
It is Rotary Piano Festival week at my house, which means that daughter #1 is competing with two songs, and daughter #2 competing with 3. It is tense!

My kids are both very musical, and since we homeschool, I really push music because it's such a practical gift that you can use for God. Both my kids are almost at the point when they can play in a praise band, and I think they'll both be wonderful one day. My younger daughter has a great ear. She can play anything after she's heard it once, and is constantly sitting down and plucking out the soundtracks from movies. She's not so great at reading music.

My older daughter is probably the better technical player, though her ear isn't as good. But they both sound heavenly.

I just find competitions so stressful! They usually do very well (especially my older daughter), but it's still a busy time in our house.

I know some parents don't like competitions. They don't want to make music into this chore or into something that can be a source of humiliation! But I think of it as training for when they have to play in public and accompany others.

I find myself, before the competition, praying that God will give confidence and reassurance to those who need it who will be using these gifts for Him. I don't like to pray that my child will win, because what if another child needs it more? I do like praying that they will feel as if they have done their best, which is all we really want. But it is such a boost to do well, and my kids have really felt that in the past.

Tonight my younger daughter played a duet with a friend (another Christian). They're both 10. The other players were in the 13-15 range. And Katie and Maggie won! They were thrilled, and so was I. But it's also nice to realize, watching them up there, that one day soon both Katie and her friend will be good enough to play at their respective churches and lead people in worship. Isn't that what it's all about?

But I still have butterflies in my stomach for tomorrow...

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 10:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

Tell the girls I send my love and wish them the best tomorrow! :)

 

At 7:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

I'll be praying for your peace and theirs. Good luck today!

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails