Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Miscellaneous Catching Up & Thoughts About Childhood Torture!
Thanks for all your posts in regards to putting Katie's hair in rags! It did look lovely today for the piano festival.

I WILL post photo step-by-step instructions on how to do it, but I have to wait until Katie washes her hair again to take pictures! So I'm sorry. You'll have to be patient!

She won both her piano classes so far. I was very proud, and a little surprised because I thought she played her piece today WAAAAYYY too fast. I guess I was wrong.

I find these competitions very hard to watch, though. My daughters tend to do well under pressure. They get that honestly from their parents (I do, after all, making my living speaking. Being in public doesn't bother me in the least. It's small talk at parties I have a hard time with).

But what about the kids who are very shy? It just seems like torture to put them through this. And to see a child totally flub a song, when you know they could probably do it at home, is really hard to watch. Should you put a child who is shy through that kind of torture? I guess everybody needs to stretch their limits and comfort zones, and there is something to that. But I'm sure a few of the kids I watched today are going to have nightmares about these performances for the rest of their lives.

It's the same reason I can't watch Olympic skating. What if they fall? They've been practising for this their entire lives, and everything comes down to four minutes. What if they mess up? I just can't bear it.

I like the competitions for my kids because it forces them to learn a song well, including the dynamics (going loud and soft). They can't flub it. And I think it is useful to really polish a few pieces. But if my children weren't naturally comfortable in public, I don't know if I'd keep making them do it. It almost seems cruel. But perhaps I'm over-reacting. What do you think?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 11:20 PM , Blogger Unknown said…

No, I think I agree. If they absolutely hate it, and really freak out, I don't think that's fair. I think you should find something they like, and let them excel at that. Good post. I've been thinking about piano lessons for my six year old daughter.

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails