Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Wifey Wednesday: Finding Mr. Right or Being Mrs. Right?
So embarrassing. Totally forgot to post this yesterday! No real excuses, but I guess it's better late than never!

Jennifer Roback Morse, an expert on love in the age of "hooking up", quotes 40-year-old Lori Gottlieb who is writing about the phenomenon--and necessity--of "Settling for Mr. Good Enough".

Gottlieb starts out by saying that in our 20s and 30s we're looking for that perfect someone to complete us. But as we age, if we're still single, we realize that to some degree we're going to have to settle. But then she goes on to say that perhaps this isn't a bad thing. That settling, in and of itself, can actually be a more mature kind of love. Here's how she explains it:
Love is a single reality with different dimensions that are needed or emerge at
different times. One dimension is necessary to attract a person to another, but this becomes less necessary over time and especially as one matures. This is eros, or the "madness" that intoxicates, displaces reason and drives a person powerfully toward another. It is the central theme for movie romances and modern sitcoms.

But for all its thrills, this dimension is not enough. In fact, on its own it becomes an obstacle to the maturing of the relationship. We see this played out all the time. Love is reduced to its caricature, to the amount of gratification that each can take from it. Bartering begins: "I'll do this if you do that." "I will stay with you as long as the sparks last." "If you love me you will let me do what I want." "I won't have children with you until I have had my career and spent my youth." "You can have children but I am not going to let this cramp my style". "I will absorb all you can give to me, your good humour, good looks, money, sensuality but I am not prepared to give you anything back." It destroys the relationship or at worst leaves spouses in a permanent adolescent-style union.

The other dimension is the reaching out of one person to the other. It is a love that is, indeed, ecstasy -- not a momentary sensual intoxication but an exodus out of oneself, seeking liberation through giving oneself to the other. It is a journey toward authentic self discovery and happiness. This is played out in different ways: the sharing of hopes, dreams, values, desires, sorrows and disappointments, successes and failures, laughter and tears, and of our sexuality by pleasure giving and childbearing.

I think she has it just right. So often we are expecting our husband to "be" Mr. Right. We are waiting for him to complete us, to sweep us off our feet, to make us feel wonderful.

But what if marriage is really not about that? What if God didn't intend marriage to make us happy as much as He did to make us holy? To teach us how to love, to forgive, to compromise, to think of another human being before we think of ourselves?

This doesn't mean married people won't be happy. Indeed, I think the best happinesses of my life have come from being married. But if I were simply seeking after happiness, always asking, "is he meeting my needs?", I would never be happy. It's only when I'm able to be selfless, to think of Keith first, that the marriage works.

That's what marriage is supposed to be. I think with the world fixated on this fairytale love we forget that it's more about giving than receiving. So if you're feeling distant from your husband today, I know it's tough. I really do. But try, even if it's difficult, to show him love. You just may find that happiness can come your way after all.

What about you? Do you have any advice for marriage? Why not share it with us? Simply go and write your own post on your blog, and then come back here and fill in the Mr. Linky with the link that goes directly to your post. Thanks so much!


Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 10:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

I linked back to my post on Blessing Your Husband w/o saying Anything to him. Have a great day! Susan

 

At 10:38 AM , Blogger Elspeth said…

An excerpt from a post I did on marriage once:
"The true beauty of God's design for marriage is that as a husband loves his wife as Christ loves the church, she's made happy and he becomes more holy through his sacrificial love. And as the wife respects and obeys her husband, she makes him happy and becomes more holy as she obeys God through her sacrifice of obedience. I'm happy as the hubby dies to himself, he's happy as I die to myself, and God is glorified as we both learn to crucify our sinful flesh in the process! Is our God a genius or what!?"

 

At 2:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

SO true! I just finished reading the book "Sacred Marriage: What if God Designed Marriage to Make us Holy More Than Happy" by Gary Thomas. This is a great book and gave both my husband and I a lot to think about.

 

At 3:15 PM , Blogger Kristen said…

I think I'd like to try that book. My hubby and I are united more than ever, but God always has more refining in mind.

 

At 9:59 PM , Blogger Momof4 said…

Hi, I found your blog through the Sorta Frugal blog, which I found through my friend Bethany's blog at bethany.preciousinfants.com. I hope you don't mind if I chime in with my 2 cents. I've gotten quite a bit of flak over time for this blog that I posted in 2006, but the truth is the truth. I totally agree about the viewpoint of *being* the right spouse.

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails