Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Random Summer Thoughts
I'm B-a-a-a-ck!

You may not have realized I was away, because I had posts scheduled to appear at different times, but I've been away for a week and a half down in the Bay of Fundy, home of the world's largest tides, in New Brunswick camping.

I don't like to announce too much before I leave that I'm gone, because it's like saying, "Hi everybody! My house is empty! Come and rob it!". But now that I'm home I'll let you know I was away.

I'll post pictures later. We got some amazing ones.

Basically we didn't do a whole lot. We hiked, watched the scenes, and just sat there. I knit most of a new sweater, several pairs of socks, and some washcloths. The girls read, and made some jewellery, and played. It was wonderfully relaxing. Sometimes you need time just to do nothing!

And now I'm back. I'm getting ready for a course I'm teaching online this week on how to launch a speaking ministry. If any of you are interested, there's more information here.

I also plan on learning tennis with my kids. I really need to get more active!

But in the meantime, while I was away, a friend of mine died. We weren't close, but she was in our homeschool group, and she had a 10-year-old daughter. She had mad cow disease, of all things. It was just very tragic, and I'm rather down about it today.

I also found out a good friend of mine has a son who was just diagnosed with leukemia. Leukemia's one of those things these days that has almost an 80% cure rate among kids. In all likelihood, he'll be just fine. But the problem is you don't know anything for 2-5 years. That's a lot of time to live in limbo, isn't it? I guess that's when you learn what it is to trust God day by day. So I find myself praying that the boy's parents will know the peace that passes all understanding, that you can't even explain.

One more comment: in my post about the school system a few days ago, one commenter insinuated that I shouldn't really generalize since I don't know about public schools since my kids aren't in them. I find that idea a little strange. If you haven't been sick this year, can you still comment on the health care system? Of course you can, because it's everywhere. We all have close friends or family members that have had run ins with health care, even if we personally haven't.

And it's the same for schools. My daughter was in public school until we pulled her out. My nieces and nephews, with whom I am very close, are in school. In fact, for the last year and half we've homeschooled my nephew because he was having such issues in public school. He wasn't being challenged. We moved him up a grade and now he's entering high school advanced. My friends have kids in public schools and we chat all the time about how to handle difficult teachers, or impossible principals, or reading programs that don't teach reading. My husband is a pediatrician and is constantly getting referrals for kids who aren't doing well in school. I'm heavily involved with the youth in our church, most of whom are in public schools, and I end up helping them with essays or tutoring them or just chatting about what they're learning and the problems they're having. You'd have to live in a hole to not be exposed to the public school system. Whether or not my kids are in it, I do know it. And I think we all need to understand what's happening there, whether we have children or not, because public schools are educating the vast majority of our populace, and thus our future depends on them.

Anyway, enough about that. What are my final thoughts after vacation? Sometimes we all need to get away, especially from the computer, and just enjoy nature and play games. I am blessed with my family, as the trials of my friends show. And I am so glad I get this time to be with them and cherish them. And now I think I'll go play tennis!


Bookmark and Share




Stumble Upon Toolbar

To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 12:39 PM , Blogger Kimberly Hurd Horst said…

Hi! I recently found your lovely blog and I am delighted. First of all, I am a public school teacher teaching 3-5th gr. Math and Reading, who homeschools her children because my district stinks and I can't afford Christian education. I teach part time, (long story..poor financial mangement in my district...blah blah blah) I am a single parent and I love Jesus so much! His grace is enough!

Your blog is a refreshing spot to visit. Thank you. And your vacation sounds lovely.

Respectfully Submitted,
Kimberly from Isanti, MN

 

At 1:24 PM , Blogger Amy said…

Glad you enjoyed your vacation. We all do need to take them! I send my kids to public school in a small town, and am happy with the education they receive. I do try to stay as involved as I can so that I can help them at home. And who knows, maybe someday I will live somewhere that I feel It is time to do it myself.

 

At 6:20 PM , Blogger Sandy said…

Even Jesus took His time away from His disciples to spend time with His heavenly father.
Like him we need our time with our family and most of all our heavenly father.
Blessings

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails