Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
My "Craft Project" Guaranteed to Mortify any Teenager
Yesterday I had six women and five teenage girls over making the craft project to end all craft projects.

I've posted before about the cloth sanitary pads that we make and send to Africa. A friend who runs Heart to Africa in Georgia emailed me and asked if I could send her a bunch to go to a women's prison in Kenya. Right now, when it's that time of the month, the girls just squat over a bucket for a week. They have absolutely nothing. Can you imagine?

So we made her 160 (2 for each girl) and I mailed them off today. That's not enough, and washing them in prison is going to be tough, but it's better than nothing I suppose. Personally, I think these will work better for those living on their own, even just in huts, where they can wash with river water or something (because you need a lot of rinsing), but at least this is a start.



My daughters are always joking about my "craft" project, because I get so excited whenever anyone gives me old pyjamas or old fleece! But they jump in and help all the same.





Here they all are at the end of the day:



And here's a video we made last time:



It's on my list of things to do this summer to publish a pattern and a video so you can make them, too, either for your own use (they're very comfortable) or to send overseas.

But if you have any questions or comments, just leave them below!

Bookmark and Share



Stumble Upon Toolbar

To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 6:13 PM , Blogger Sande said…

Wonder if we can get you a donation of diva cups?????

 

At 6:20 PM , Blogger Sheila said…

Sande--

Thanks for the thought! I actually went over to a Kenyan orphanage once with just that thought, but they nixed it.

The problem is that the culture is VERY modest. So if someone got one in, and couldn't get it out, they'd be unlikely to tell anyone. And many of the young girls just wouldn't wear it.

I think they're an amazing idea, though, for some of the older women who have already had a bunch of kids, and if you have any connections that could get some donated, we'd certainly take them! But we're going to need the flannel pads, too :).

 

At 10:39 AM , Blogger Jamie {See Jamie blog} said…

Wow. This makes me think how very spoiled we are; even in an annoyingly uncomfortable time of month, at least we have entire aisles full of choices to deal with it. Your idea here is fabulous.

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails