Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
When Are You a Grown Up?
It has taken me a long time to feel like I'm actually a grown up.

I thought I'd feel like I was a grown up when I got married, but I didn't.

I thought I'd feel it when I had kids, but I didn't.

But sometime in the last decade I have crossed a line. I don't know where it was, but I am now a grown-up. And I'm trying to figure out how I define it. I might turn this into a column, but here are some of the things that make me feel grown up.

I knew I was a grown up with men when I could stop asking, "Does he like me?", and start asking, "Do I like him?".

I knew I was a grown up when I could begin to make a recipe without a recipe book and without worrying whether it was how my mother-in-law would make it.

I was a grown up when I stopped worrying what other people thought of my children's behaviour and just concentrated on being the best mom I could be.

I was a grown up when I started taking better care of myself, like caring what I looked like again and not just hiding the earrings in the drawer because I couldn't figure out how to wear them when the kids liked to pull on them. When I started prioritizing feeling good in my body, I felt like a grown up.

I was a grown up when I called my mom for her advice, and not her approval.

I was a grown up when I could calmly talk to a salesperson about what their establishment had done that was beyond the pale, instead of letting them walk all over me.

I knew I was a grown up when I could start looking at other people's kids and at teens and telling them what I honestly thought instead of being intimidated into worrying that I'd be labelled "the mean mom".

I knew I grew up when the fact that my father didn't understand me became a cause for pity for him, rather than for angst, anger, or introspection on my behalf.

I was a grown up when I started letting myself dream dreams, instead of living out the dreams of my mother, or my other family members.

I felt like a grown up when I could pray with other women in my church, even older ones, and feel like I could offer some counsel.

I felt like a grown up when I acted like others were my equals, instead of feeling insecure around those who were of higher rank or status than I was. Once I realized that didn't matter, I knew I had grown up.

I felt like a grown up when I could see someone and have a conversation and not remember until the next day that I was supposed to be mad at them. I guess I don't carry grudges anymore.

I knew I was a grown up when I could ask people over for dinner and not worry about whether they'd like what I made. I'd just cook what I liked, and figured everybody else would make do.

And I know I'm a grown up now that I can admit my faults to other people rather than trying to pretend to be perfect. I know now that there's no point in pretending.

And I feel like a grown up now because I'm realizing that this isn't my life; the next life is my real life. This is only preparation. So I think I can let go of things a lot easier now and not worry so much what other people think.

What about you? Do you feel like a grown up, or do you still struggle with it? What makes you a grown up? Please leave a comment! I'd love to know!

Bookmark and Share





Stumble Upon Toolbar

To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 4:19 PM , Anonymous timmy boyle said…

I'm relationally wiser.
I'm emotionally stabler.
I'm spiritually stronger.
I'm physically bigger.
I'm mentally smarter.
But I've never grown up! WOO HOO!

 

At 4:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

After I got my own place that I paid for to live, bought my own groceries, paid a car payment and car insurance, etc. etc. Moreso when I got married and even more after having children. Just different levels.

 

At 2:32 AM , Blogger April said…

Not until my middle thirties. It came as a part of the healing process after my mother died.

 

At 11:03 AM , Blogger Lauren said…

I LOVED this! I look forward to the day when I can be a grown-up too :)

 

At 12:06 PM , Anonymous Jen-After the Alter said…

I am 1 year married and thought that might make me a grown up but it certainly didn't! I'm not sure when I'll figure out Im a grown up, but I loved your post!

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails