Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Complaint Free Week

Read to the Bottom to Find How You Can Participate!

I complain a lot.

I can find fault with just about anything.

Part of it is my personality type. I'm a heavy NTJ for those of you who know Myers Briggs, so my goal is always efficiency and thinking outside the box. I can always come up with new ways of doing things, and it always bothers me when people aren't on board.

So yesterday I was speaking at a women's retreat. I had a wonderful time. The women were great, I felt invigorated giving my message, the weather was beautiful, the setting was lovely. And at one point I took a walk outside and talked to God. And as I walked, I just felt peaceful.

Then I thought, "there must be something that I'm supposed to pray about or fix." Usually when I pray, you see, I feel that God must be bringing to mind something that's wrong in my life.

Nothing came to mind. And then this thought went through my head: "Can't you ever just enjoy something without trying to see the negative?"

Now I've had a challenging week. I took on some projects that relied on other people, which is never a good idea when you're into efficiency and organization. And all week I was itching with all the problems everyone else was causing me. And as I took that walk, and felt peaceful, it occurred to me that I complain way too much.

Sometimes I complain about other people. Often I get my blood up about politicians, or the news, or church. I complain about other kids' parents. I complain about the place where my husband works. It's not that I don't say positive things, too. I do. It's just that if there's a negative to be pointed out, I'll see it, even if I don't mention it out loud.

We live in a negative culture, where we're always judging each other. Our politics is negative. And part of me enjoys that. I love reading political blogs and seeing what the next outrageous thing is that the party I abhor is up to. But it's sick in a way, too. Because even though I'm sure they're wrong, it doesn't do me any good to dwell on it. I know how I'll vote in an election. I know how I'll tell others to vote. Why should I glory in other people's mistakes? Why should I want to see what the next bad thing they've done is to justify my opinion of them?

Or what about with family and friends? When you live in an exciting family, as I do, there's always someone doing something crazy. And I have several friends and family members that would love to analyze these missteps with me. We don't call it complaining or criticizing. We discuss things, so that we can try to come alongside and help the children, or commisserate together. Yeah, right. We're just gossiping. And it doesn't help anyone.

I don't like this streak in me. So I have decided that with God's help I am going to have a complaint free week, where I focus on what is beautiful in the world. I'm not sure if I'll make it, because it's a little out of character for me, but I'm going to try.

For one week, I will not say anything negative. I will see the good in people, I will thank them for what they do, I will smile, I will be a blessing. I will learn to hold my tongue and enjoy the world.

But I don't want to do this alone, because I know I'm not the only one. So would you like to join me? Do you complain about your spouse way too much, even if it's only in your head? Do you complain about your job, or your in-laws, or taxes? Let's try not to. For one week, let's be positive, and see how it changes our lives and our outlooks!

Here's a great cartoon that summarizes the whole thing, too!

So will you join me in Complaint Free Week? Starting today, until next Saturday at midnight, I'm going to pray that God will help me not to complain. Why don't you do the same? And fill in the Mr. Linky to tell us all about it!


Now up: Complaint Free Week Day 2: With your daily challenge!
Complaint Free Podcast!

Don't Worry, Be Happy? audio download
Wifey Wednesday: How to Bring Up Problems in your marriage without complaining (with daily assignment!)
Watch What You Say to Your Friends (with 3rd daily challenge!)
Laugh with your Family (4th daily challenge!)

Bookmark and Share


To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 8:20 AM , Blogger Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama said…

This comes at a great time for me- when I get frustrated with others (which is just a form of self righteousness and pride) I can ge really stuck in negativity. I am an ENTJ- so I feel your pain. I will be praying for you this week and please do the same for me!!
Thanks for the challenge!

 

At 9:05 AM , Blogger Trish said…

This is a great idea, Sheila! Thank you for doing this. :)

Blessings,
Trish
http://joyfulheartblog.com

 

At 9:26 AM , Blogger Ann-Marie MacKay said…

Sounds like a GREAT idea. I will join too
:)

 

At 12:43 PM , Blogger Laura J. Davis said…

Sheila, I thought you were talking about me and I wondered, how does she know so much about me? Oh yes! I will gladly join you this week.

BTW, could you please explain the Meyers Briggs reference? I am not familiar with it.

 

At 1:45 PM , Blogger Zaankali said…

I am wondering about the Myers Briggs reference also.
I have been noticing A LOT of complaining in my house lately by everyone so this is really good timing. Hopefully if I start the ball rolling the kids will jump on board. Wink!
Thanks for the challenge.
Smiles!

 

At 1:52 PM , Blogger Sheila said…

Hi everybody! Thanks for joining me!

Myers Briggs is a personality test that measures you on four scales. There are 16 possible personality types, and it's really fun to do. You can be: introverted-extraverted; sensing-intuitive; feeling-thinking; judging-perceiving. It sounds strange, but once you figure out what you are, it matches you exactly. I'm an ENTJ too!

 

At 2:37 PM , Blogger Cheri Gregory said…

I need this more than I'm willing to admit. Six more weeks 'til the end of school -- that's all I'll say (or else I'll be complaining!)

I'm an ENFP, so most of my complaints center around people's insensitivity to the emotional needs of those around them. (Which is, of course, ironic because hearing other people complain upsets me!)


Thanks Sheila!

 

At 11:40 AM , Blogger Violet N. said…

Hope it's ok that I revived an old post - but I thought of it as soon as I saw your excellent topic!

 

At 2:13 PM , Blogger Ashley Wells said…

This is such a great idea!!! I am in!

-Ashley

 

At 2:46 PM , Blogger Painless Mama said…

Hi Sheila - Mrs. Fussypants was linking to you and talking about the No Complaints Week challenge, and I am so interested in trying. With a little faith, I think I can make it. But Lord, I need help!

 

At 10:33 PM , Anonymous Heather @ The Striving Wife said…

Hey Sheila...

Thanks for the idea! I had such a great response to it over at my blog.... many more are taking the challenge! It's hard, but worth it!

Keep on Striving,

Heather :)

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails