Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Fashion Disasters
Yesterday I republished an Easter column from a few years ago. Today I'll publish my column from this year! Not related to the holiday at all, but it expresses my feelings perfectly on today's fashions.

Recently my children were laughing incredulously over a picture of me from the 90s. It seems they think a straight bob, teased bangs, and a satin blouse with mega-shoulder pads are humorous. Imagine.

As bad as the 90s were, though, they don’t hold a candle to the 80s. Remember oversized sweaters with thin little leggings? We women were football players on top and storks on the bottom. We were lollipops on sticks. Then, of course, we plopped a poodle on our heads to complete the whole outfit, since perms were the one way ticket to chic. At the time, we thought we were very fashionable. Especially with blue eye shadow.

I won’t go into the seventies, since in those days I had no control over how my mother dressed me. I was too young to be held responsible for bell bottoms or jumpsuits. What strikes me, though, is that as fashionable as we thought we were then, we now realize we were out of our minds.

In twenty years, what current fashion trends will cause us to hang our heads in shame? After all, we’re likely just as stupid as previous generations were. Let me offer my suggestions, then, as to what trends will soon go the way of bell bottoms and tight leather pants.

Today’s fashion has an issue with backsides. Let’s start with teenage boys. They wear massively oversized pants that fall below the hips. They cover nothing; we’re all getting a crash course on adolescent underwear choices.

Boys may think they look cool, but allow me to let you in on what everyone else is thinking: You look stupid. In fact, you look beyond stupid. You look lazy and unattractive, and to boot, you’re too dumb to realize it. I know it may be radical to say, but I believe pants should actually cover one’s nether regions. If that makes me a prude, so be it.

To be fair, it’s not only boys who have this issue. If you’re a woman and you don’t want to shop in conservative stores, extremely low rise is pretty much your only option. I suppose they do make one’s backside look nice. The problems come when one bends over. I do not have an overly large posterior, but when I lean down, I resemble a plumber, if you know what I mean. And there are some parts of my anatomy which I would really rather keep hidden. We must cover The Crack.

Besides, pants that fail to cover important areas also have the side effect of making us females look like mushrooms. Unless you have zero body fat, your flesh will spill over the top of low rise pants, lending that woodland fungus effect.

While pants have grown shorter on the top end, they’ve grown longer on the bottom. We used to hem our pants to come just to the top of the shoe. Now they’re supposed to touch the toe, so that they can be worn with heels. I suppose that’s all right, if you’re the type of person who cooks in heels, goes to the bathroom in the heels, runs after toddlers in heels, and wears heels while walking to the park. Otherwise, whenever you’re inside you step on your pants. When you wear your pants with flats they get muddy and they fray. Hardly attractive, either.

In twenty years, we know that we’ll look back on this extreme low-rise craze and realize we were insane. Why not hurry that process along and abandon the Muffin Top look right now? Let’s bring the pants up higher, on both ends, for both genders. Let’s fight the Crack. Together, we can win this thing.


Don't miss my Reality Check columns! Sign up to receive them FREE in your inbox here.

Bookmark and Share


To Love, Honor and Vacuum
9 Comments:

At 8:55 AM , Blogger Joanna J. said…

Amen, sister!

 

At 9:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

I am a prude too. My family doesn't get into those fashion things but it is hard to shop.

 

At 9:56 AM , Blogger Kate said…

Droopy Drawers drive me absolutely crazy. I want to run after these boys and hike their pants up to their armpits!

As the mother of an 8 year old, I am continually shocked at the clothing "choices" available for her. She can either be all buttoned up, or dress like a desperate 30 year old, headed out to the bar!

 

At 6:11 AM , Blogger Meika said…

Thanks! That gave me a good laugh! I hate trying to find pants that I feel actually fit me properly!

 

At 4:25 PM , Blogger Mrs. Cote said…

That was a good chuckle :) I really enjoy your blog.

Now that you've corrected me on the length of my pants I think I'll get out the sewing machine. ;)

 

At 8:13 AM , Blogger kelli said…

yesterday I saw a teen boy at the gas station and I had to laugh! It looked so funny to see this skinny young man with his pants to big and down to his knees! How do you drive like that?!?!

 

At 10:35 PM , Blogger Mary said…

Overly baggy shorts and pants for guys are really culottes in disguise. Didn't you know that? I found that out by clicking around on blogs about modest and masculine/feminine clothing. Ha!

 

At 9:43 AM , Blogger Jean Campbell said…

I totally agree. I think it is wrong to see bun cracks.

 

At 10:31 PM , Blogger Renee said…

My girls like to call boys with droopy pants "waddle-bottoms." In fact, they are impressed with non-waddle-bottoms, and will often comment to that effect.

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails