Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Way Too Much Information
When I was in university I lived in a house with three other girls. Together, we made a startling discovery, which was known to researchers for decades and to regular, everyday women for centuries.

When you put a bunch of women in the same dwelling, they tend to coordinate their—ahem—cycles. Their bodies start to go in sync.

I’m not sure why we’re designed that way, but that’s how it seems to go. Because we were all in our late teens, early twenties, we could cope. It got a little bit moody all at the same time, but we handled it okay.

Now fast forward to today. It turns out that when you have two teenaged daughters the same thing happens! And I am finding hormone overload a little bit difficult to deal with, what with everyone accusing each other of not liking them anymore and bursting into tears because someone might have rolled their eyes. And it's not just them; it's me, too! My girls are wonderful girls, but boy has the drama been high here lately. I don't know how my husband stands it.

And worst of all, I used to be 31 days. Not 28. 31. But lately I’ve been 25 to adjust to them. It is so not fair.

Okay, now here’s an honest question. In a few weeks we’re taking a vacation somewhere warm, which we really need what with our -25 temperatures right now. But what do you do if your very young daughter gets her period then? I think tampons are a little too scary for her right now. But I can’t think of an alternative, and I know she’ll want to swim. So help! Any brilliant suggestions? I want to be prepared. In the meantime, I’m just praying it’s not an issue.

Bookmark and Share



To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 10:34 AM , Blogger Donnetta said…

Eager to hear responses as I've been wondering the very same thing for my young daughter!

 

At 1:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

I have an almost 11 yr. old daughter who does synchronized swimming and I have wondered the same thing. The older girl's moms have said that usually they aren't really heavy at first and because you don't bleed when you are in the water, they just grab a towel to put around them and head to the bathroom right when they get out to take care of busines. They either change into clothes or even put a pad with their suit and towel on if they will be out of the water for awhile and know that they will be returning back to the water.... so many lovely things for our beautiful daughters to think about :) Enjoy your vacation and I hope all goes well for your daughter and you during that time

 

At 2:21 PM , Blogger Amanda #1 said…

I guess it depends on how comfortable you are discussing things with her. I'd probably just tell her, if you want to swim, you're going to need a tampon. If you're not comfortable with it, that's fine, too, but you won't be able to swim.

That said, a lot of young girls have an easier time with the OB brand, no-applicator tampons. Having complete control over its insertion yourself makes it a little less frightening.

 

At 6:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

I would give her a tampon. They make the slim fit tampons. Also ask her, she might not want one, in that case they make liners that fit a thong so you could use those.

 

At 11:20 PM , Blogger Herding Grasshoppers said…

Ummm... I have to admit I'm kind of grossed out my the mom who said "you don't bleed when you are in the water".

Yes. You do. It's just diluted in the water. Ick.



I don't have daughters, so haven't faced this with kids, but even at my age I remember learning to use tampons because I loved swimming.

The non-applicator kind sound a lot more painful for a young girl especially (too much friction), but you could show her both kinds and let her try them if she wants to.

 

At 4:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

It is a tricky problem.
My eldest is 14, and I have felt that it is too early for her to be using tampons. I feel she needs time to become accustomed to her cycles and her body.
We have had occasions when she has been cycling during camps or holidays, and it is tough! I remember it being tough when I was a teen too. However, it is part of life, and we can't always have what we want. It has given her a maturity that I am proud of, rather than an expectation that all will be perfect. Anyhow, those are just my thoughts - we each need to make our own decisions for our family :)
siminoz

 

At 10:59 AM , Blogger threesidesofcrazy said…

The slim fit are geared towards the young teens and when taught properly to use them, they'll feel secure and confident. Being open and honest with them is the best approach. My aunt taught me and my cousin at 11 & 12 one summer and we enjoyed swimming all the more.

I'm also with Julie regarding the mom who said you don't bleed in the water. I pray I never visit the same public swimming place as her.

 

At 1:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

She could use Instead Soft Cups: http://www.softcup.com/

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails