Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Works for Me Wednesday: Going on Strike


I'm being facecious in the title, but this week I am, in a way, "on strike"! And it's been great.

Let me explain. We homeschool. And I have a busy schedule speaking and writing. So it can be very difficult to balance. But what I've found over the last few years is that I've become too busy. Too many things have not gotten done, and it's been weighing heavily on me. I just have so much to organize in my files, in my computer, and to get ready to sell at my next speaking engagements.

I was trying to do everything at the same time, and I discovered I just couldn't. There is only so much balancing this one little woman can do, and I was at my limit.

So instead I've decided to take two weeks off. Two weeks off of homeschooling, and all my other responsibilities, just to get myself caught up. Because there are times that we are so hopelessly behind that we're in no emotional or mental state to actually be effective. I couldn't teach the kids properly because I was always thinking about what I should be doing.

The amazing thing is that I thought it would take three weeks, but as I've been working for the last few days, I've realized that it won't take nearly as long as I've thought. If I give this just another week, I should have everything done. And then I'll be able to maintain it.

Sometimes, though, things just get overwhelming. The house is too much of a mess to tackle, and everything gets out of control. You have too much to do in some other area of your life. And the truth is that's one of the times that God just says, "STOP!". Stop doing everything and deal with the big problem. Then all your little problems will fix themselves!

That's harder said than done, of course. My kids are older (11 & 13), and so for me to go on strike it's easier. I've had to separate them and send them to their rooms for a while each day just so they don't bicker while I work, but on the whole we're not doing too badly. They're doing some work by themselves, a lot of piano, and they're goofing off a bit. But they're also cleaning more, and that's great! That was our bargain: Mom stops being Mom for a few weeks, and you guys pick up the slack. But then when Mom gets back, she'll actually be here. She'll be able to give you her undivided attention. She'll make better meals and snacks. And she won't be so distracted!

If your kids are younger, think about hiring a baby-sitter for a week. I know it's expensive, but there are times we just need that uninterrupted work time just to get our houses into shape, or our filing cabinet into shape, or something. And if you're someone who doesn't know how to organize, get a friend to help! I have so many friends I would love to help if they just asked me! Most organized people love organizing, and hate seeing friends in their chaotic mess. But they're not going to step in and volunteer. That would be rude. But if you ask them, they'd love it! It's like asking someone to help you with a makeover. What gal wouldn't do that?

And speaking of that, maybe that's what some of you need! You need to take two days and get your hair done, and get a facial, and get some new clothes and shoes, and get rid of all your old ones, because you're sick of being frumpy. But you've never had the time before.

So my advice to you, ladies, after struggling with all the stuff that needed to get done and not getting anywhere, is to go on strike. If something is building up and building up, you just have to deal with it. Don't let it explode. So spend some extra money if you have to. Your sanity is worth it. And take a week, or a few days, or even a few weeks, and get yourself under control. Work hard with a purpose. And suddenly your life will be so much more manageable!

It's amazing how much stress we have when we let things build up. It affects everything about our lives. So deal with it. And then see how much lighter you feel!

Thanks for visiting! Why not stick around? I have tons of posts on marriage, family, chores, and more!

To Love, Honor and Vacuum


Subscribe to my feed by clicking above!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 12:20 PM , Blogger Wani said…

sigh... I've been contemplating going on "strike" for awhile now. I have a 3 1/2yr old and an 18mos old (who is developmentally delayed - which comes with multiple in home therapy appointments each week and periodic doctors visits). I really wanted to go to Hearts at Home but couldn't get anyone to go with and couldn't justify the expense to go alone. I may have to plan a day or two away sometime soon. Thanks for sharing about your "strike"!

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails