Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Election Round Up
Now that I've had a few days to digest what happened in Canada's election, I thought I'd leave my take for those of you who are interested, since it isn't always what the media portrays.

Stephen Harper, our Conservative Prime Minister, won another minority government. We have a multi-party parliamentary system, which means that whichever party has the most seats forms the government. But in this case, and before the election, the Conservatives were short and didn't have a majority. So they couldn't automatically pass anything.

They won pretty big, though, up about 17 seats I think. They're a lot closer to a majority now than they were before.

They gained seats in the crucial 905 area (the area code surrounding Toronto, where they needed to break through), a few in Vancouver, and in New Brunswick and Anne of Green Gables land. They just hit a wall in Quebec.

We have a weird system where Quebec, which has a quarter of our parliamentary seats, votes overwhelmingly for a Quebec separatist party to represent them, even though they don't actually want to separate. It's very strange. They just want a strong Quebec voice in Parliament. We were hoping the Conservatives could break through in Quebec (they do have 9 seats now, I think), but the big breakthrough didn't come.

It's too bad, but that's Quebec.

The main thing is that nobody wants another election, so the opposition parties will likely support a lot of what Harper is doing. And right now our banks are the strongest in the world and our country is bearing up well under the financial crisis.

So I'm very encouraged. That's probably going to work out to at least three more years of Harper appointing fair judges (rather than overly liberal judges), three years of Harper appointing key Conservatives to the ministries and the Bank of Canada; three years of Harper running the military. Even if he never passed another law or budget, that's a big legacy you can leave in a country.

One of the key responsibilities in both the U.S. and Canada is appointing these key people. That's where you make your mark. And let me say, that given who Obama's friends tend to be, I would much rather be in my position where Harper is appointing fair judges than in the position that the United States may soon be in when Obama is left to appoint his allies.

But that's just me needling you guys about your election! Sorry about that. Can't help it. I'm going to stay away from any more election news for a while because I can't handle it. We came through our own election quite well, and for that I am grateful. God has given us a good government.

But no matter who runs Canada, or who runs the United States, God is still in charge. And whichever party wins is still a whole lot better than what most countries of the world face. So I am counting my blessings, and praying for a continually better world.

To Love, Honor and Vacuum


Subscribe to my feed by clicking above!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 9:25 AM , Blogger Nicole said…

Hi Sheila,

I have really started to enjoy your blog but I hope it will not be political very much of the time. As a believer that does not agree that the Conservative party or the republican party in the states (I am a US citizen living in Canada) always neccessarily represents my own values, I chide at the assumption that they do. I really wish that more Christians would leave their own political endorsement out of their evangelical or ministry outreaches (which i certainly see this blog as a ministry of yours).

This is said in love as I do so enjoy your books and your blog, so I will be back for sure but hoping that there won't be too much partisan political posting, but more focus on things we acn all agree on, namey God's Word and how we live it out as women.

God Bless!

-Nicole

 

At 10:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

I am glad to hear your gov. did well. Now PRAY for ours. Some of us don't want B.O. in. Actually alot. But weather we can trust the votes is another issue. I still don't know why Accorn is in business.

 

At 12:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

that is what I have to keep telling myself through this election. Whoever wins is who God wants to be there and even if I don't agree with the outcome I have to trust God with his plan and know that in the end it will all work out.

Heather
jrmiss86.com

 

At 3:25 PM , Blogger Amy@theredheaddiaries.blogspot.com said…

Congratulations on being done with your election. I have to admit I was more than a little jealous when I read that you only have a 6 week election process. I love your comment about God being the ultimate one in control. I think we forget about that so often (I know I do). Thanks for that reminder!!!!

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails