Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Why We Buy DVDs
I remember way back when VCRs first became popular. I think I was in high school.

Most people didn't buy the videos--they were quite expensive. But we did rent movies. Lots of them. It was tons of fun.

When DVD players became the new standard, suddenly people's movie collections ballooned.

Part of this, I think, was the idea that DVDs wouldn't deteriorate the way videos do. So it was just simply an improvement in technology.

But the other thing was that our whole way of watching movies changed.

I remember movies I saw as a child, and many of them I can still quote. I remember whole episodes of WKRP in Cincinnatti that I only saw once, but they're still with me ("As God is my witness, Andy, I thought turkeys could fly.")

We rarely saw things twice. And so when DVDs came out, I thought it was strange that everybody was buying movies. Why do that if you're not going to watch the movie over and over? And who would want to do that, anyway?

I've since changed my opinion. A large part of the blame is Hollywood's. I am so sure that I will absolutely hate 98% of new movies that I'd rather watch an older one I haven't seen in quite a few years, because I'll likely enjoy it more. So if it's a movie we really like it, we buy it.

The other is simply the price factor. We usually pick up movies in the $10 and under bargain bins. At that price, it's the same as renting it twice. So why not own it? Chances are the kids may want to see it when they're older, too.

It's no wonder that we don't go out to movies anymore. They rarely live up to the hype. But I also rarely find new rentals that I enjoy. Anyone seen anything good lately that's just come out? I haven't. But I'm open to suggestions.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 10:48 AM , Blogger Cherish said…

I think the other reason we accumulate DVD's is because it's so easy to just watch the portion of the movie we like, and skip the parts that bore us. It was a lot harder to fast forward to the right part.

 

At 2:44 AM , Blogger Herding Grasshoppers said…

I like the older ones too - at least we know what we're getting! (Just watched "The Gods Must Be Crazy" 1 and 2 recently.)

Not new, but very funny... have you seen "Waking Ned Devine"?

 

At 4:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

It came out several months ago, but one recent movie that I thought was highly under-rated was "Stranger than Fiction". I still get a lot of recommendations from my dad (although I'm a 27 year old grad student and have a daughter of my own), and his two favorites this past year were "Juno" and "Lars and the Real Girl". "Lars" is amazing -- very different, but very good.

There are still some great movies being made, but you have to look for them.

 

At 5:33 PM , Blogger Kim said…

a movie we have bought recently is "Amazing Grace" It is well worth the money. We like to buy some tv series Star Trekes and right now my husbands favourite is Star Gate. We like as well any of the bible movies you can get the ones that are biographies (sp) of some of the charecters of the bible the ones produced by Turner. We as well buy a lot of Videos by Answers in Genisis all on creation. We use these some time as ministry outreach tool for people who do not believe in the literal 6 day creation of the bible. All very good stuff.
Kim

 

At 8:53 PM , Blogger Sisterlisa said…

I rather enjoyed 'Flywheel' and 'Facing the Giants'. They have anew one coming out in theaters in Sept called 'Fireproof'!

 

At 6:13 PM , Blogger Erin said…

I'm a little late chiming in, but an absolutely wonderful movie (with no "bad" stuff, either) is "Bella". Really, really good - too heavy for little ones, but DH and I really loved it.

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails