Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Menu Plan Monday: Cooking Bambi
Last month I stuffed my freezer with Bessie, the cow. We bought half a cow, and I have a ton of beef.

I gave some away, and traded some with a friend of mine who hunts every fall. But he doesn't particularly like venison. So I've got venison stew, venison loin chops, venison roast, and ground venison.

I've never actually had venison. Maybe I won't like it either. But now we've got Bessie and Bambi.



At the farmer's market on Saturday we also bought some emu. It's red meat but it's only 2% fat, so it's really good for you. So you can add Emily the emu to the mix.

I figure it's good to eat a variety of meat. If you think about it, the pioneers probably had a much more varied diet, at least where protein was concerned. They would have eaten bear, and rabbit, and fish, and goose, and duck, and anything they could happen to kill. We eat farmed cow and chicken with a litlte pork thrown in. And that's it unless you can convince your family to eat fish. I think variety is good for the soul.
Anyway, I now have to cook all these weird meats, so for Menu Plan Monday, here is my plan:

Monday: Venison Steak. I saw a number of recipes for something like barbecue sauce marinade, but I'm not into barbecue sauce today. So we're going to try this. My mother's coming over for dinner and she requested Bambi, so there you go.

Tuesday: Emu Stew mixed with a bit of Bessie, the cow. Apparently because emu is so low in fat it's really better to cook it in liquid, so I thought I'd do a stew with some really yummy fresh carrots and mushrooms and potatoes I picked up at the farmer's market, too.

Wednesday: Company night. How about a roast on the rotisserie on the barbecue? I'll try a sirloin roast again. We did it for the first time on Saturday night and it was really yummy. I have lots of leftovers, though, so I'll have to do something about that. I think I'll make chocolate zucchini bread, too. Have you ever tried that? It is so yummy and you can't even taste the zucchini. It reminds me of those Snack 'n Cakes my mother used to bake when I was little.
Thursday: Beef pie with the leftovers. Oh, yeah. I love beef pie.

And then next weekend I think I'm taking my youngest away, just the two of us. But I'm not sure about that. More later.

So, if any of you have ever eaten venison or emu, let me know what you think and any tips you might have!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 8:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

Thank you for the encouragement to try a more varied protien diet. I cooked fish for dinner tonight, and not fish sticks. We had grilled Talapia for dinner. I have yet to convince my husband and 3 year old that the fish was good to eat. However my 1 year old devoured a whole filet, along with bread and grean beans. Had I not tried it, I never would have known that she liked it that much. It seems that even though she is my strong-willed difficult child, she is going to be my adventerous eater.

Thanks

Heather
jrmiss86@jrmiss86.com

 

At 10:12 PM , Blogger Lauren said…

We love venison. We marinate the chops in Mojo Criollo for a day or two, then add them to fajitas! We also mix the ground with turkey or beef, since the flavor is pretty strong.

 

At 11:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

(coming out of lurkville)
We use tons of Venesion in our house. It can be used in any way that you would use beef. I will say if it's really "gamey" tasting add a splash of vinegar to it. I'm not sure why but it seems to balance the taste some.
Thank you for all the wonderful encouragment in foods! You're blog is wonderful all around!

 

At 2:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

I'd be interested to try emu. How did that and the venison turn out? Do you like them? My husband is a big hunter. At our last home we had a deer or two in the freezer every fall so we pretty much ate that instead of beef. I ground a lot of it into burger with my KitchenAid grinder attachment. Mixed with other stuff, I could barely tell the difference. Marinades and slow cooker recipes were a great way to cook it too.

Here in Alaska it's a freezer full of salmon and moose! Moose is even closer to beef than venison.

 

At 9:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

Stumbled upon your blog via the Organize Junkie. We eat our weight in venison as my husband is an avid hunter. We rarely buy ground beef (only for real hamburgers). I don't know if you have the option but White Tail is the best and doesn't have that gamey taste, we eat the steaks wrapped in bacon. Axis is really gamey but its easy to hide the taste in anything like tacos, chili, spaghetti. Glad to hear more people are opening up to the idea of eating it again.

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails