Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
I am so Jetlagged!
Okay, I am four hours behind my real time here, and I am just not doing well. I am so tired! And tomorrow morning I have to get up at 6:00 to drive four hours to the camp where my girls are to pick them up. Of course, I really want to see them, so that won't be too much of a hardship. But I do hope my body bounces back soon!

The good news is that I stepped on a scale this morning and I only gained three pounds during my cruise. Considering there was an unlimited buffet, I think that's pretty good. I tried to have a big salad before every meal, and I tried to avoid the pastas. And I worked out everyday, which is better than I've been doing at home. So I thought that showed some self-restraint.

On the flight on the way home I was knitting with qiviut, which is muskox fibre, the softest and warmest yarn in the world. I picked it up in Alaska, and it is glorious. The woman beside me saw me knitting, and partway through the flight she handed me her book which she had just finished--The Friday Night Knitting Club.



So I read it.

And I cried.

I don't cry at many books, but this one just about did me in.

I am a knitter. I knit in line at the grocery store. I always have a pair of socks on the go because they're easy to do, and very portable. There's something marvelous about creating something that I just love.

But you don't have to be a knitter to enjoy this book. It's just about female friendship, and forgiveness, and identity, and it's lovely. It's not Christian, although she does, in the end, seem to open the characters up to God. And you won't agree with everyone's moral choices. But it is a lovely book, and I'm glad I read it.

I grew up as an only child to a single mom who knits, which makes me identify more with the Dakota character (the daughter) than Georgia (the mother), and that's probably why the ending was so hard for me. I can't say more or I'll give it away, but I've walked through almost the same thing, though things turned out better for my family. But it made me think, and there aren't that many novels that do that for me anymore.

Now if only I could get over the jetlag...

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 10:14 PM , Blogger Lauren said…

I'm not a knitter, but I've had this book on my TBR list for quite some time now. I'm even more excited to read it after your review!

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails