Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
What To Do When Your Toddler Sounds Like She's Swearing
FiddleDee is talking about what happens when your child sounds like they're swearing, even though you know they're not, because of pronunciation errors. What do you do? Become a hermit? Or acquaint complete strangers with your child's colourful language?


I can sense her dilemma. When my oldest was 3, all her consonant sounds came out as "f"'s if they were at the beginning of a word.


So if we were in a park, she'd say, "Duck, mommy, a duck!". But that's not what it sounded like.
And heaven forbid we should ever see a dumptruck. (For compound words, she always managed the first consonant. It was the second that was the "f".)

You get the picture. What about you? Have you ever had these experiences? Do tell.
5 Comments:

At 9:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

We haven't really had this problem with my kids yet, but my husbands family tells the story of him when he was younger. He had much the same problem. When ever he saw fire truck, he would always replace the tr with an F.

I am waiting for the day when I hear something simmilar comeing out of my son or daughters mouth.

Heather
jrmiss86@jrmiss86.com

 

At 2:35 PM , Blogger Tracey said…

I teach 5th grade so I haven't experienced these yet. But I do have other interesting tales to tell....

Ms. Brumlik what's a testical? Aren't they the arms that an octopus has?

 

At 1:40 AM , Blogger Anonymous said…

All the time. Babies are very entertaining for older siblings to "enjoy" in this way. "See It" is said with an SH at the beginning.

In addition to the way he pronounces, he mimics so many things they say. I now have a 21 month old who I am having to train out of saying "bug off"!

 

At 9:24 AM , Blogger Dena said…

I don't remember any problems like that with my children, but we have a foreign exchange student living with us for the summer and while her english is pretty good, she still needs a lot of work. Some of her words come out sounding very wrong, as if she's swearing. We just laugh it off and quickly correct her on how to say it the right way.

 

At 5:02 PM , Blogger Precision Quality Laser said…

When I was little and I tried to say frog, it came out well a lot like your little girl's "duck". So my mom just told me to say "froggy" which sounded a lot less crass...lol! I had the same problem with my firstborn...I did what my mom did. There really isn't anything you can do but laugh and correct them. Whatever anyone else thinks is up to them.

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails