Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
What Will I Get for Mother's Day?

When I was a child I bought my mom lots of presents. I got it in my head that she liked roses, and she liked earrings, so I bought her earrings shaped like roses for like six years, for every Mother's Day and Christmas starting when I was about 6. And like a good sport she wore them.

But I made the effort.

My kids don't really. I need to remind them to get something for Daddy for Father's Day, or for Christmas. But Keith often forgets to take the initiative to get them to get me anything, so quite often on Mother's Day I don't get a present.

Now I'm not really into presents. I don't actually like people spending money on junk for me, because I don't need any more junk. But I wouldn't mind a poem or a picture or something that took some effort.

I think the reason that I was so into presents as a child was because I was an only child and my mother was a single mother. I knew that if I didn't get her anything, no one else would. It was my responsbility. And I felt it heavily even at 6.

But my kids don't have that same feeling. They know that Daddy and I will come through and do the shopping in the end, so they just wait to be reminded. In a way it's a good thing, because they're not taking on an adult role. But in another way, I just wish that they would think of more things for me!

Is that selfish? I hope not. I do love my kids, and they really are awesome kids. I have absolutely nothing to complain about. But I don't always enjoy Mother's Day, because we make a fuss over my mother and my mother-in-law, but rarely does anyone make a fuss over me.

Okay, now I've got myself in a funk. Somebody get me out of it!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 6:11 PM , Blogger Elspeth said…

Though I always get something, my family doesn't make a big fuss over me either, though this year I suspect they might since I AM 9 months pregnant. That's GOT to be worth something!!

In any event, I pray that you are pleasantly surprised and that your family blesses you with all the love and celebration that you deserve.

 

At 6:37 PM , Blogger Laura said…

Well it's nice to know I'm not alone. I wasn't too happy when hubby announced he was going out of two on business on Sunday...sigh.

 

At 7:11 PM , Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said…

I can relate to this post. I don't want to WANT something, because then I feel greedy, so when my husband asks what I want for Mother's Day I generally hem and haw and say I don't know. (Like I did about an hour ago!)
I do, however, get the chance to cook all I want and not have to clean up any mess :) That's the tradition in my house. I suppose I should be happy for that and not focus on the lack of advance planning for gift-shopping.

 

At 8:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

There have been Mother's Days where my husband was unaware of the holiday until a preacher announced it from the pulpit.
I wish there was no such thing as Mother's Day because it just makes what I ordinarily consider a perfectly thoughtful man look like a boob. And then I get all grumpy.

 

At 11:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

I am in the same boat. I have 4 males (husband & 3 teenage sons) in my family, so do they think of getting their mother something for Mother's day? Usually not. My husband says that I'm not his mother. He doesn't buy my explanation that I am the MOTHER of HIS children. Oh well, I guess I could always treat myself to something.

 

At 4:38 PM , Blogger Joy said…

I so understand... it is very funny because the kids will all get together and call me and say mom what can we get dad... one year they bought him a blackberry... they have never called him and asked what I wanted. Makes me feel sad also, but I know they love me.

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails