Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Wifey Wednesday: Keeping Your Head When You're Mad
It's Wednesday, which means it's our day to talk marriage! I introduce a topic, and then you can all comment, or write your own marriage posts and link them here! Marriage, I believe, is the cornerstone of our society. But it's not easy. So let's be honest and help each other, and then just maybe we can turn this society around as we build strong families!

Last week my husband and I had such a textbook fight it was almost funny (in retrospect). Here's what happened:

I was feeling overwhelmed with a lot of demands on me. I was trying to homeschool. I was working to some writing deadlines. I had things to do at church. I was speaking last weekend (and this weekend), and I had family who needed me.

And in the middle of all that, I didn't have any time just to be by myself! And I need that "me" time. I had two specific issues with my girls, which were bugging me but which weren't really the cause of my angst, but they were there nonetheless.

One night I had just had it and I let in to my husband about how busy I felt. I knew this was only for a time; many of these time crunchers would be gone soon, but I was overwhelmed. And I happened to mention my frustration that I couldn't get Katie to practice piano right (although really this was minor compared to the rest of the things).

Keith offered to homeschool the girls the next day instead of catching up on paperwork, and I accepted, because he was sweet.

But then the next day, he called the girls down and started railing at them. He was really yelling because they were causing me stress. So I started yelling at him that he wasn't really helping me. If he wanted to help me, he wouldn't yell at the girls because they weren't my problem. But he figured: IF I HAD A PROBLEM, HE HAD TO FIX IT. And since I had been complaining about two specific things the girls were doing (piano practice and sibling bickering), he felt it was time to whip them into shape. But to them, it came out of left field because they had thought that we were all getting along quite well.

So I was mad at Keith for being mad at the girls, he was mad at me for being mad at him, and the girls were just flabbergasted.

Instead of just realizing that he was doing a male thing--trying to fix things--and it would all be okay in the end, I was really angry, because he was supposed to make my day easier and instead he was causing stress for everyone (in my view). He didn't want to talk about it, so instead of getting some work done, which would have at least lowered my stress issues, I seethed. I thought about how mean he was. I thought about how much he over-reacted. I thought about how he was too hard on the kids.

When he was finally ready to talk, and we had everything out, I realized that both of us had over-reacted. He was just worried about me, and he was genuinely trying to help. He wanted the girls to know that they should never cause me stress, and he wanted to defend me, and I shot him down. But he also needed to know that sometimes I just want to vent. I don't need him to fix anything; I just need him to listen.

Once we talked about it rationally, we were both soon laughing and hugging and everything was fine. I realized how much Keith loved me, and I felt much better.

The good thing is that the conflict was resolved really quickly--by noon it was over. Even though the anger feelings were as high as they were at the beginning of our marriage, we're so much better at getting to the root of the problem and talking it out. He listens; I listen; and we're more ready to forgive.

I think that's the wisdom that comes with age and experience. I know he truly loves me, and he knows I truly love him. Then, when a conflict occurs and we're able to think rationally, we realize that the problem can't be a lack of love; more often than not, it's just a misunderstanding.

Early in our marriage we would do one of two things: we would either each clam up, trying to will the other person to drag it out of us, or we would be so sure we were right that we wouldn't even listen to the other person. Now we've learned to get it out early.

Inevitably, when two people live together we will have misunderstandings. We will blow up and get angry occasionally. We will act inappropriately. It takes grace to make a marriage work; grace to our spouse, and grace to ourselves. So next time you're really angry, take a deep breath, and ask yourself this:


Do I truly believe he doesn't love me? Do I really think he's evil? Is this how he usually acts? Or is this something unusual? Am I reading too much into this? Given what I know about my husband, are the things I'm feeling really justified just by what's happening now?

And then--and I know this is hard when you're angry--say a prayer that God will help you see your husband through His eyes. God, help me to see the truth in this situation, and not only my own anger.

Gain proper perspective on the argument, and then gain God's perspective on your husband, and you just may find that listening to your husband and getting the conflict resolved is far easier than you used to think it was!

Now, what about you? Have you ever had a fight because your husband wanted to fix something? Do you have a special way of resolving conflict? I'd love to hear about it! Or if you just have other thoughts on marriage you want to share, why not write your own blog post, and then come back here and enter them in the Linky feature. We'd love to hear them!


Bookmark and Share


Stumble Upon Toolbar

To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 8:22 AM , Blogger Antique Mommy said…

Are you kidding? Every fight is because he wants to fix something. He's a problem solver, that's what he does, that's how he makes a living. Unfortunately in order to be a problem solver you have to be a problem identifier and sometimes I don't like having my problems identified! Other times I don't want my problem solved, I just want to complain about it! LOL!

 

At 8:22 AM , Anonymous Christina S. said…

Are you sure the "fight" you described actually happened in your home? I could swear you were a fly on the wall in mine!

I'm glad to know I'm not alone. :-)

 

At 7:32 PM , Blogger Sheila said…

Hi Antique Mommy and Christina! Glad to know I'm not alone!

And thanks for everyone who left a link this week! They're all great--please go and click through!

I find that when I get angry, my instinct is to want to hash the fight out now. I guess that's a good thing, because I don't want to let bitterness grow, but at the same time, I think I need to learn to calm down a bit so I don't overreact. So those are the two things I'm working on: remembering our differences, and learning how to take a deep breath and walk away to pray!

 

At 8:12 PM , Blogger The Happy Domestic said…

Hahahaha! I love love love this post. Once again I find it hilarious that the exact same things happen in our house, with the roles reversed. I have such a typical-male brain, and my husband has such typical-woman responses. LOL

It's definitely true though, that as we mature in marriage we become much more adept - and humble - at communicating honestly with each other. And, God works grace into us. Like the song says, "He's not finished with me yet!"

 

At 9:38 PM , Blogger Unknown said…

I LOVE your site. Wow, are you honest about husband/wife relationships, and that is so welcome!! I will write a Wifey Wednesday blog next week (and thereafter). I'd love to take part in the great work you are doing!!

www.CleverColleen.blogspot.com

 

At 6:45 AM , Blogger Sandra Wilkes said…

Glad to have found your blog. I think all marriages have conflicts. Sometimes we handle them better than others. We have gotten better at it over the years. Heaven knows we've had enough practice!

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails