Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Quick, Interesting Things
To go along with my quick podcast today, I thought I'd post some quick things I've found that I like!

Carnation has some free recipes you can download, ready for Christmas! I'm always looking for interesting breakfast ideas you can make ahead of time, and this looks particularly good! I'd probably use half egg substitute and whole wheat bread, along with low-fat cheddar, to make it a little healthier. But that's just me.

Here's an article that really has made me think. Do we overlook the beauty in life because we're moving too fast? Often children see the beauty before we do. I think I'll have to turn this into a column.

From a man's brain: what it means to do nothing. Can that really be productive? I think he may be on to something. I heard someone say recently "Rest is not idleness". I think they're right. I may have to write a column about that, too!

If you're a Christian mom who also works outside the home, Kimberly Chastain has a survey she'd love for you to take! It's here.

And finally, does the government reward irresponsibility? You betcha.

Bookmark and Share


Stumble Upon Toolbar


To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 8:04 PM , Blogger The Happy Domestic said…

Hey Sheila, thanks for your list of interesting things. I had some good reading, and some provoking reading.

Regarding the last article... are they kidding?! $120,000 a year is hardly middle-class! Unless you live in a city with a very high cost of living, an income like that will allow you to live very comfortably indeed. I agree with certain points made by the writers, however I have to disagree with the overarching impression that people with low incomes or no incomes don't deserve to be helped. Christ's disciples lived in a kingdom economy, where those who were rich sold what they had and distributed the proceeds to the poor. Christ was the best example of a social leveller.

Making $40,000 combined family income does not make someone irresponsible, it makes them hardworking with less opportunities. Show me a job available today that pays more than $35,000 a year and doesn't require years of specialized training - or hazard to life and limb. Some economy for people with families!

 

At 9:19 PM , Blogger Sheila said…

Hi "Happy Domestic"! Thanks for your comment!

You're right, $120,000 is a large family income. I think the point that the article was trying to get across--and which attaching dollar values to it probably didn't help--was that often people make decisions assuming that others will bail them out.

I've known friends, for instance, who have spent 20 years in grad school, earning multiple degrees but no money, because they didn't know what they wanted to do with their lives. But they had no problem asking the government to fund them for what was, essentially, a "discovering oneself" experience. And I've known people who have refused to get a job, or have worked less than they needed to, because they knew that they would still be taken care of.

I don't think the issue is income so much as attitude. We have a lot of people trying to figure out how to game the system--how to work the minimum number of weeks to qualify for unemployment insurance, or how to get the government to pay back their student loan--and it's because government has so many programs. It breeds laziness. That doesn't mean that everyone who needs government's help is lazy--otherwise we wouldn't have started these programs in the first place--but just that the more entities of government that hand out money, the more people will try to figure out how to get that for themselves, rather than trying to figure out how to support themselves and earn a living. That's what irks me!

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails