Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Menu Plan Monday: What to do With Turkey!
Menu Plan Monday is hosted by Org Junkie.

As I have posted before, this Christmas I cooked Birdzilla. Birdzilla was a 30 lb. turkey. She took 9 hours. She was good.

And she is still here. I have many Tupperware containers in my freezer full of Birdzilla. So let's talk turkey this morning! Leftovers, that is.

First of all, never ever throw out a turkey carcass. That's prize stuff, right there! Turkey stock is very easy to make and very tasty, and extremely healthy!

I simply put all the bones in a stock pot and cover with water. Throw in about 3 carrots, an onion, a bunch of peppercorns, 5 garlic cloves, and 3 pieces of celery (I use the leaves and the tops and all those pieces I don't eat). You can also throw in the turkey neck and other parts you didn't cook.

Now just simmer it for a few hours. It'll taste wonderful, and smell wonderful, and then you can freeze it in Tupperware containers in manageable doses so that you can use it whenever you need chicken stock for soups or casseroles or whatever.

Let's move on to other things with Turkey:

Turkey Soup

4 cups turkey stock
3/4 cup diced chopped turkey
1 cup peas
1 cup diced carrots and celery
1/2 cup macaroni, or egg noodles

Simmer for about 20 minutes, and then add salt and pepper or garlic or whatever spices you want. It's really yummy. I usually at least double this, but you get the picture.

Turkey Casserole

6 cups cooked rice
1 tin cream of mushroom/broccoli/celery soup
1 tin gravy (or leftover gravy!)
2 cups vegetables
2 cups cooked turkey
1/2 cup soup cream
Season with salt & pepper, garlic, and whatever spice mixes you like.

Mix everything together and put in a 9x14 pan. Add 1 cup shredded cheese and 1/2 cup breadcrumbs to the top. Cook at 400 for 25 minutes. Enjoy!

Turkey Strogannoff

I use the recipe here. It's great! And it uses up leftover gravy, too!

Turkey Tettrazzini

(Which is a fancy way of saying turkey in a cream sauce with egg noodles and mushrooms. Very, very good.) Again, I use the recipe here.

I'm not making all of these turkey dishes this week, but maybe you can make use of some of these recipes!

Monday: Turkey Tettrazzini

It's just so good I've got to!

Tuesday: Beef Roast

The kids are getting a little sick of Birdzilla. It's time to make Bessie the cow again. We bought half a cow earlier this year, and I just love having beef to make when I need to!

Wednesday: Beef Soup & Buns

I like an easy meal on New Year's Eve! We're going to be snacking all night with friends, anyway! For the beef soup, I use the leftovers from the roast, add it to beef stock, and add barley and vegetables. Very good. We're big on soups here, and they're so affordable!

Thursday: Homemade Pizza

I have a ton of youth coming over the afternoon of New Year's Day, and we're going to do homemade pizzas, where they can put on their own toppings. Otherwise everybody always complains!

Friday: Salmon & Rice

This is Mommy's favourite. The kids and the hubby are slowly getting more used to fish, but I do try to cook it once a week.

Saturday: Turkey Casserole

It's time for Birdzilla again!

What are you eating this week?

Thanks for stopping by! I'm the author of To Love, Honor and Vacuum, and I blog here about marriage, motherhood, and more! And don't forget I offer FREE household organization charts at my author site!



Bookmark and Share

To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 6:14 PM , Blogger Stacy said…

Great recipes!
Our turkey soup recipe includes sage (so it reminds you of the taste of stuffing) and just a little bit of red wine. It really gives it a good flavor.

 

At 9:34 PM , Blogger Shynea @ Penny Pinching Diva said…

I have been wanting to cook with Turket for awhile now because I heard it is a lot healthier then hamburger meat. Thank you for the recipes that you have provided. I am going to try out a few of them.

 

At 5:23 PM , Blogger Unknown said…

I chuckled when I read that you named your turkey.
I have a hard time eating food that I've named.

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails