Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Tackle It Tuesday: Bra Shopping with Kids

Bra shopping has never been a hobby of mine. Perhaps it comes from being so anatomically tiny that nothing ever really fits. I finally bit the bullet and went to one of those posh lingerie stores, and had a proper fitting, and the woman there was so nice.

She told me I wasn't actually an A cup.

After reviving from the faint, I heard the reason. The best thing to do was to go down a band size or two, and up a cup size. And everything would fit better! So I'm actually closer to a 32B. I said Hallelujah.

Well, the time has now come when my daughter is bigger than I am. She is a 32C. And she is lovely. My younger daughter also needs something more than just an undershirt. She needs a real bra, too. So last night I finally decided it was time and we went shopping.

But here's the problem. THEY DON'T MAKE BRAS IN 32 ANYMORE. This is realy frustrating.

It seems that according to the bra companies all chests begin at size 34. There may be some 32s, but they're 32As, which may be okay for my younger daughter, but not for the older one.

She's skinny. She's not even really a 32. She's more like a 30. But she is definitely a B or C cup. And you just can't find those.

We started at Zellers in the teen section. They make undershirts, and then you can buy teen bras in 32A, 34A, 36A, or 38A. No B cups there. Even the 32A didn't fit my youngest daughter well. They're just too cheap.

So I said, "we'll go to the adult section!". And with enthusiasm we crossed the aisle. Only to find no 32s.

So we went to Sears. We found a few 32As, and the occasional 32B, but nothing that fit well. The woman, though, was very helpful. Try La Senza, she said. (That's a Canadian lingerie store). I hesitated. They tend to have little Santa outfits with white boas in the windows. But we went there.

(Comment from youngest daughter: "why would anyone wear that anyway?". Mother replies with nervous laughter and tries to change subject).

Luckily, La Senza did indeed have plenty of bras in 32. Unfortunately, they were all the "Extreme Push Up" variety, where you add about two cup sizes. Since that really wasn't my intention, we walked back out.

We tried a few more stores before heading back to Sears, and buying the first ones we saw, which were not ideal, but were the best we could find.

The only good news is that they will eventually grow. But there's no way Rebecca is going to be a 34 for ages. Her ribcage is too small. She is a 32. Life is just not fair.

To Love, Honor and Vacuum


Subscribe to my feed by clicking above!

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At 8:27 AM , Blogger Tara said…

Man am I in a different stage of parenting than you! From your title I figured you were going bra shopping for yourself and taking the kids with you! I hate bra shopping and don't even want to take myself let alone taking 3-4 kids with me! :)

 

At 9:22 AM , Blogger Amy said…

I'm an odd size (small ribcage, large cupsize esp. for nursing) and I've always had to buy my bras online to get the right size. I'm hoping at least some manufacturers keep up the 30-32 size!

 

At 11:05 AM , Blogger Zaankali said…

I just had to get a couple new bras for my dd. I told my hubby that "push-up", "low-plunge", and "extra-padding" are all words that I don't want to see when looking for a bra for a 14 year old! What on earth. I never did find a plain white bra to wear under a t-shirt. What happened to plain white bras anyway?

 

At 11:23 AM , Blogger Frugal Finds said…

I am close to the stage in life too. UGH.
i love your blog! I will be back!!

 

At 11:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

Ugh, bra shopping! I didn't find anything helpful in department stores, either, so now I always go to Frederick's. It seems like the same kind of place as La Senza, but the staff is so helpful and friendly and that was the first time I was properly measured also. I will NOT go to Victoria's Secret because I'm still indignant about having gone there with my mother and sister to find something to wear under my wedding dress, and being told very condescendingly that they didn't carry sizes "that small!" Hello! I was a 36A! I do NOT think an A cup is "small!" It is ridiculous how much emphasis is placed on, ahem, "size." One thing I did learn from various online tutorials about how to determine your size is that some women will wear up to 6 or 7 different sizes over the course of their lives, so if your bras are uncomfortable, get measured again. Which explains why my "girls" hurt so bad before being properly measured. Oops.

~Sarah

 

At 11:26 AM , Blogger MrsShawn said…

I wore an undershirt til I was 18 (I was 6'2" and finally hit 100lbs.) So I was starting college AND training bras together. I basically woke up one morning to the mirror saying "What the flip are those???" I was on my own for bra shopping. The biggest peeve I find with bra shopping is the right combination of band and cup size. You're never what you think you are. Now at 38C.... I miss my undershirts.

 

At 1:19 PM , Blogger Shan said…

Wow, that was quite the tackle. I only have a boy right now, so as of right now I don't have to worry about training bra shopping.

 

At 8:35 PM , Blogger Stacy said…

Find a style and brand that you like, then go online and order the size. It seems to be the only way to get some of the harder to find sizes.

 

At 11:35 PM , Blogger Dena said…

Both my twin girls (who are 18) wear 32A's and they both find it very insulting that they have to go to the little girls section to buy their bras. I agree that it's ridiculous for stores to think that no one over the age of 12 would wear a 32. They definitely need to start the adult sizes at 32A.

 

At 3:40 AM , Blogger Thespia said…

I'd go to Victoria's Secret. They carry some 32s. Especially in the "Pink" line, which is made with teens/college age girls in mind.

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails