Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
When Life Really Stinks, What Do You Yell at God?
I don't think it's wrong to yell at God. After all, most of the Psalms are just David yelling at God. I think we read them wrong. We tend to read them in a pretty reading voice like this:

"O God, where are you? I am surrounded by enemies and pressed down, and I cry out to you."

But I think David said it like this:

"O GOOOOOOOODDDDD!!!!! Where are YOU?!? !? I am SURROUNDED by ENEMIES here, God, and I'm pressed down!!!!!"

You know what I mean? And since God knows what we're thinking anyway, we may as well be honest and yell it out.

There have been times in my life when I've yelled a lot at God. When my son was diagnosed with a terminal heart defect, I was devastated. I cried. And I yelled.

But one of the things that made me scared to yell too much was the idea that I might tick God off. And if there was any chance He was going to save Christopher, I had to be picture perfect and figure out what God was trying to teach me through this.

At some level, I thought that if I could just figure out what God was trying to say, then maybe the pain would go away. Maybe Christopher would get better. Maybe the grief would lessen.

What God showed me was that I was asking the wrong questions. I was making the whole thing about me, rather than about God. And I was misunderstanding the way that God works.

If you're having trouble walking through suffering, or if you've ever cried out to God and tried to figure out how to appease Him, this might help. It's an article I wrote about some of the things that I learned when I was walking through that really hard time. Is death a punishment? Is God really mad at me? If you've ever felt that, I hope that these words can help you see His love through whatever storm you're going through.

Here's a bit:

C.S. Lewis, after the death of his wife, remarked that grief felt a lot like fear. It was the same sickening pit in your stomach that precedes something truly awful. That’s what I felt, too. But what is it, exactly, that we’re afraid of? Facing the future alone? Forgetting? Or that this feeling will never end?

Perhaps it’s a combination of all of them. After Christopher’s death I was scared simultaneously of forgetting and of never being able to cope well again. During his illness and after his death I wailed many questions at God to try to make sense out of what was happening to me. In many ways, though, this quest was self-serving. I reasoned that if I could just find the reason for this storm, then it would stop. So I searched my repertoire of explanations for suffering in order to make sense of it. As I did so, these are the questions that vexed me.

You can read the rest here. It's based on my book How Big Is Your Umbrella? Weathering the Storms of Life. I hope it helps you, too!



To Love, Honor and Vacuum


Subscribe to my feed by clicking above!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 11:55 AM , Blogger Tracey said…

I too think it's ok to yell at God..I've been EXTREMELY MAD AT GOD....not understanding his plan drives me nuts....I yelled at him during my divorce and then with all the infertility crap...but just like a good friend....we patched things up and we're best friends again.

 

At 3:31 PM , Blogger Dena said…

I agree it's ok to yello at him. He's got big shoulders, he can take it. :)

 

At 6:53 PM , Blogger pedalpower said…

Such a wonderful article you wrote! I've saved it for future reference.

I too wanted to rail at God when our first born was terminally ill. I told our pastor I felt so guilty because all I wanted to do was yell at God. He told me, "Go ahead, God can take it and he understands." I was so mad because I couldn't understand why he wouldn't heal my baby.

I still don't understand (23 years later!), but I trust that His plan makes sense....we just can't see the whole thing as He can. We did turn to Him and I think that's why our marriage survived the whole ordeal and several other stress filled (and joy filled) pregnancies.

 

At 3:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

That article was so very encouraging. I always have people saying, when something bad is going on, "Well learn your lesson quick, so it can end." That has messed me up for a long time. A friend and I were talking about it, and that's when I realized that it's not a true thought. Thank you so much for putting it into words I can't always do myself. :)
JoAnn
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/psalms16vs2

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails