Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Procrastination is the Name of the Game
I need to have my final edits for my book, The Good Girl's Guide to Great Sex, in at the publisher tomorrow.

I don't actually have to make that many changes, and most of them I've done. But there are a few additions to the book that I've had to write--not long ones, but things that really need to be addressed.

But here's the problem. My book was already WRITTEN. It was already FINISHED. Everything flowed beautifully. So it's no problem to write the additions; I just can't figure out where to put them because they totally wreck the flow.

So I have a new strategy for doing my edits. It goes something like this:

  1. Write the addition.
  2. Stare at the computer screen.
  3. Check email.
  4. Wander into the girls' rooms, where they are working, to see if either needs to talk. How do they feel about life?
  5. Get kicked out of the girls' rooms.
  6. Fold some laundry.
  7. Stare at the computer screen some more.
  8. Read blogs.
  9. Clean my shower. (It really needed it).
  10. Read some more blogs.
  11. Check Facebook.
  12. Repeat.

Unfortunately, this strategy has not been working tremendously well to actually get anything accomplished, and so I may have to mix it up a bit today. In the meantime, I've been reading a lot of blogs, and I've found some interesting things you may like, too.

19 Ways to Beat Clutter Forever
The Definitive Commentary on what Anthony Weiner means to our society (it's actually quite good, if you're not sick of the story yet).
Young Children Should Have Chores, Not Desks. Why kindergarten worked better when it was just called "helping mom and dad around the farm".
Is Higher Education worth it? Another snippet saying that the problem is that too many jobs require BAs that don't actually need them--they're just using university as a weeding out system. And that's too expensive.

See what you think! And if you have a great way to beat procrastination, tell me!

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 9:43 AM , Blogger E. Tyler Rowan said…

This is a picture of my everyday life. I live to procrastinate. It's sad, really. People keep asking me how my book is coming along, and I tell them that "I'm not working on it right now because I'm waiting to hear back from a couple publishers." You know, because waiting somehow means that all writing must cease. Right? LOL.

 

At 9:57 AM , Blogger Deborah said…

I'm totally sympathetic to the problem that additions ruin the flow--I've never written anything as long as a book, but I ran into the same problem sometimes on school papers back in "the day," and I still do on blog posts sometimes ... the only thing that's ever worked for me has been to rewrite the entire thing to incorporate the new into the flow (using copious copy/paste from the original draft, of course).

Somehow I don't think that's a good solution for a book :D

Good luck figuring it out!

 

At 11:50 AM , Blogger Momof4 said…

Procrastination is an issue for me. I think I love the rush of getting things done last minute or something because I'm always a crazy lady the day before a party b/c I've done nothing before or shopping for a birthday gift the day of! It's terrible and I want to get better at it.
LOL


www.breakformom.com

 

At 3:38 PM , Blogger Evan & Krista said…

Decide on a nice reward if you finish by a certain time! Even something time sensitive like your daughters agree to go shopping/ice cream/movie with you at a certain time. It'll make the reward so much sweeter! Sometimes though, you just have to take a break and come back to it! Hope it all gets done!

 

At 9:13 PM , Anonymous Heather said…

Your schedule looks like mine! Though I did laundry instead of the shower; and I'm not writing a book... Oh well, guess the only similarities are the staring at the computer screen, reading blogs, checking email, and checking facebook. Eeek too much time in front of the screen!

Good luck getting the edits and additions completed - looking forward to the book!

 

At 6:26 PM , Blogger Mary said…

I have many flaws, but procrastination is usually not one of them. I can't stand to have something hanging over my head. I can't enjoy anything else until I get it done.

 

At 9:31 PM , Blogger Renee said…

I liked the second link you posted. I've heard north americans accused of being immature before because if the attitudes toward sex - I like how the writer showed that it's actually a more enlightened view of women instead.

 

At 9:23 PM , Anonymous Naomi said…

Boy that sounds familiar! I did the same thing when I was writing my book. I finally decided I would keep adding new sections if I didn't't decide to just finish it already! Here's to second editions! lol I hope you were satisfied with it. As a happily married woman, The Good Girl's Guide to Sex sounds like a book I'd be interested in reading. Good luck!

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails