Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Hiding the Word
At our house we're really into Bible memorization. My kids do "Bible quizzing" with the Alliance church, and that involves knowing parts of Scripture inside out to quiz on each year. This year we're doing 1 & 2 Corinthians, and my youngest basically has the whole thing memorized. They're both doing well, and will likely make it to internationals this year in Calgary. Here's a video of my oldest from a few years ago:



It's amazing how much she still remembers. It's geeky, but it's fun. And she gets to meet about 200 other teens in our region who are all excited about the same thing!

I learned a ton of verses as a child & a teen, and they've stuck with me. It's harder to memorize as an adult. My mother, who is now in her late 60s, has just about given up trying, though she could do it when she was younger.

But hiding the Word in your heart is so useful and such a blessing, because no one can take it from you. You'll be reminded of important truths at important times.

Do you struggle with memorizing the Bible? When I was in Kenya I was overwhelmed with how much memorizing the kids do. Every evening, after dinner, they have "devotions", or a program when they all get together and put on skits, or perform in choirs, or do dramas, or do quizzes. And one night a week they all recite Bible verses and learn new ones. They think of it like a game, and even 7-year-olds know so many!

If you want to start memorizing more, Seeds Family Worship puts out CDs with songs where the lyrics are simply the NIV of a particular Bible passage. And since putting something to music always helps you to remember, it's a brilliant way to memorize! Find out more here.

And here's a post I wrote on a Bible memory system that works for us!

So tell me: do you remember Bible verses you learned as a child? And how are you helping your children to memorize?



Share/Bookmark

Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 5:23 PM , Blogger Herding Grasshoppers said…

Way to go with your daughters and Bible Quizzing. I'm hoping to get our boys involved in that.

They've all done well memorizing with AWANA, and we've done some memorizing with our homeschooling. I learned Navigators "TMS" (Topical Memory System) in college and those verses - and ones I learned in childhood - are still with me. Maybe not word perfect (!) but they're in there.

I find it easier to memorize verses in passages, rather than scattered verses (like AWANA and the TMS does) so we try to memorize whole chapters. I find that reading them aloud together - sheer repetition - works best for us.

I'm intrigued about your system of card piles, but not sure I'm clear about the difference between pile 1 and pile 2.

Julie

 

At 9:59 PM , Blogger Saint Shellie said…

Wow! We really focus a lot with memorizing Scripture, too. Nothing fancy, just ones that pertain to what we are studying in our Daily Bread. I think it is so important to hide His Word in us, just like you said. His Word never returns to Him void.

Blessings to you. Love your blog.
http://createdtobringhimglory.blogspot.com/
http://animperfecths.blogspot.com/

 

At 11:22 PM , Blogger Berji's domain said…

We have memory verses as part of our family Bible reading time. Our 3 yr old has quite a lot memorized already. And teaching her has helped us get back in the mode of memorizing too. We started with individual verses, but now do passages. We're currently working on John 1. (We're up to vs. 13.)

 

At 7:51 AM , Blogger Tiffany said…

I started memorizing scripture somewhat sporadically last year. I have picked up my consistency a lot this year when I started getting up in the morning early to have my quiet time. I am now on my 12th verse and getting ready to start my 13th. I also use a system that rotates my verses based on how well I know them, meaning I have a daily verse, an even/odd day verse, a day of the week verse, and a day of the month verse. So far, it has worked really well for me!

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails