Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Why Kids Need to Pick Up Their Own Stuff!
I have a new video up! It's from an interview I did with Chuck and Jenni on At Home Live a while ago. My hair looks better now, I think. But I still sound pretty much the same!

Anyway, you can watch it below. It's focusing on To Love, Honor and Vacuum, and one of the issues I really get into in this interview (and in the book) is what it means to serve our families appropriately.

I think serving always points people to God. It shouldn't point people away from God. But while women instinctively are servants, I don't think that necessarily means that we serve appropriately.

When we do things for our kids that they should be doing for themselves we teach them to treat us with disrespect. We teach them to ignore their responsibilities. We teach them to rely on others, and that they are entitled to an easy life.

And none of those things is good. Those are the exact opposite of character traits we want to instill. But how many times have we cleaned up for our kids because it's easier than requiring them to do it? How many times do we say "okay, you don't really have to do your chores, or you don't really have to listen to what I say," because it's easier than to follow through on our consequences? We may tell kids "clean up your room or you can't go out", but if they don't clean up, do we let them go out anyway? Do we let them argue with us so that they can clean it later (and by that time we've forgotten about it?).

I don't think we should be tyrants. I think it's better to issue very few commands to kids, and then follow through, than to have a whole list of rules that you never enforce. And there is always room for grace! If your daughter is exhausted, helping her with her chores this week is fine. Helping her every week is not.

What do you think? Do you find it hard to follow through? Do you make your kids do chores? And how do you enforce it? Watch below, and then tell me what you think!




If you struggle with getting your kids to help clean, To Love, Honor and Vacuum is for you! Find out more here, or click here for Amazon.

You can also download
an hour long humorous talk that Sheila gave on To Love, Honor and Vacuum!

To Love, Honor and Vacuum


Subscribe to my feed by clicking above!

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 5:50 PM , Blogger Tracey said…

Great video!!! The buffering was very slow...so I didn't watch the whole thing...not sure if problem is on my end or yours...liked the parts I saw though.

 

At 6:49 PM , Blogger Valerie said…

Thank you for your post today and the video. I needed it.

I am a homeschooling mama who feels like she's losing her mind. I'm ordering the book!!

 

At 7:16 PM , Blogger Rhonda said…

Great interview Sheila - you looked and sounded great!

 

At 12:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

Yes I do. We all live in this house and I don't make the mess by my self. I started when they were little.
You aren't do your kids any favor by doing it for them. As they become adults they aren't going to know what to do.

 

At 11:59 AM , Blogger Tami @ This Mom's Delight said…

Great post! I enjoy your blog. That's why I've chosen to tag you. By participating, we'll get to know one another just a little bit more. See my blog to check it out. ~Tami

 

At 3:11 PM , Anonymous TheRoosterChick said…

I’m a big fan of encouraging independence, and early! lol

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails