Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Swap & Hop--Organizing Your Freezer

My freezer was terrible. My 13-year-old was constantly complaining about it (she's usually the impetus for me cleaning things), and yesterday I decided I had better do something about it. She was also tired of getting beaned on the head every time she opened the freezer door.

Here's how it started:



I keep all my leftovers in my kitchen freezer--my little bits of chicken leftover from a roast that I can make into a soup, soups to have for lunch, etc. etc. But I can never find them. So they don't get used.

And all those frozen vegetable bags don't stack properly.

So I labelled all my little plastic containers so it's easier to see what's in them. And I emptied my frozen vegetables into Tupperware containers, too (thus cleaning out my tupperware cupboard at the same time), so that they are now stackable. Of course, in the process I dumped half a bag of corn all over my kitchen floor, but we won't talk about that.

Anyway, this is the end result:



Next, I made a list of everything that is in the freezer and put it on the side of the fridge door. Whenever something comes out, it gets crossed off of the list. This way I know what's in there and I'm more likely to use it!

I feel much better about my freezer now. And much more organized. Now if I can just get someone to do my garage...

Read more posts by clicking here!

16 Comments:

At 9:36 AM , Blogger ChristiG said…

What a cool idea!

First let me say I can so relate with the bag of corn on the floor. I laughed so hard when you said that. I am such a klutz.

 

At 9:55 AM , Blogger Alyce said…

Hi Sheila..
good job on your freezer. I have to do that to our freezers every so often. I don't use my tupperware in them though..Ziplocks are great. We have an upright freezer in our utility room, which houses all our summer veggies and also the deer my husband kills, the sausage that friends make, and the sauces and chili that I make up, as well as meats bought in bulk. It gets wild in there! I think the book Where the Wild things Are, was based on my freezer! ha..
Enjoying your blog..I was looking at the books in the margin, and said to myself.. "i have that book", so I went and checked, and yes, its one of yours.. The headache one!
Thanks for sharing your tip.. I have one, but its on Lysa's comment form..

Blessings~Alyce

 

At 10:03 AM , Blogger Heather said…

Hi Sheila. Glad you can open your freezer without getting beaned (or corned?) these days! The list is good idea. I always forget about frozen leftovers too!

 

At 12:44 PM , Blogger yoshi3329 said…

Great job on your freezer I just clean my not to long ago "now if I could get some ont eh clean my garage" not that's funny!

oh and by the way, you been tagged! If you'd like to play visit my blog for the rules! http://adlynmorrison.blogspot.com/

 

At 12:46 PM , Blogger BethAnne said…

Great idea! I usually use ziplocks, but sometimes things get very 'burnt'. If I had a dollar for everytime I have dumped a bag of veggies or fries out on the floor I would be rich!

 

At 1:30 PM , Blogger Amy said…

EXCELLENT work, my friend! You should be so proud of yourself. That is such a great feeling to have that all nicely organized.

 

At 1:46 PM , Blogger Jenny said…

You should feel very very proud! I need to do my refrig!

Maybe that is why she picked a Friday so we could tackle some of these this weekend!

Have a great day!

 

At 4:43 PM , Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said…

Great job!
I keep all those bags of frozen vegetables in one of those "dollar store" plastic baskets on the freezer shelf. Another basket holds leftover meats, in bags.

 

At 10:10 PM , Blogger Angie @ Many Little Blessings said…

Looks great!!! :)

 

At 11:16 PM , Blogger Amy L Brooke said…

Very cool! I may have to invest in more containers!

 

At 11:59 PM , Blogger Sherry said…

Great ideas! I can so relate to the garage situation too!

 

At 12:39 PM , Blogger pam said…

Our two college age daughters are usually the encouragers to "MOM, your HUGE pantry needs organized". And they do a great job! This is why God gave us children. :) They will always have to live close. :) I am humbled by your freezer--BUT mostly importantly I will not allow my daughters to see your post about your freezer---YOU HAVE LOTS OF ICE CREAM----they would be jealous. I don't really like ice cream--unless it's homemade and so I kind of forget to buy it for the rest of my family. :)

 

At 2:09 PM , Blogger 24/7 MOMS said…

Great organization....I love when things look so neat and tidy....with this kind of organization we can all make plenty of room for Freezing EXTRA meals...Ive been posting "Feed the Freezer" ideas on my blog, so if your looking for ideas stop by and keep an eye out for more tips this week 24/7 MOMS

 

At 4:52 PM , Blogger Wanita said…

What a great way to organize your freezer! If you find someone to do your garage, please send them my way (smile).

 

At 6:02 PM , Blogger Sita said…

Hi Sheila,
Great site! I am one of the moms from RAC you met at the Unionville quiz meet. I immediately recognized you on Lysa's blog, so popped over to say hi. Great idea for organizing. Be blessed.
Sita

 

At 12:41 AM , Blogger Sprittibee said…

Great idea! ;) Thanks for visiting Sprittibee. I probably need to tackle my freezer as well. We just threw everything in there today when we got home from the store. I'm sure it is in bad shape. I like the list idea. I do that on paper sometimes, but keeping it on the fridge would surely help it not get lost in the bottomless pit that is my purse!

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails