Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
How God Spoke This Weekend

It is Saturday afternoon as I write this, and I am sitting on a dock in eastern Ontario, watching six geese fight it out on a lake. The air is filled with the sounds of birds, and the crystal clear lake seems to be smiling at me. All is peaceful.

And yet my heart was not peaceful for the last week. I know I have written about this before, but I struggle so much between the two extremes of wanting to rest and wanting to work. At times I go on a working jag, and I spend all my free time writing and fixing my blog or setting up Facebook or planning my next speaking campaign.

Other days I just want nothing more than to knit and think up new things to put in my crockpot.

I was having some of those latter days last week. I have been traveling so much this spring that it is wearing on me, and I found myself saying to God, "Can't I just stay home? Can't you let me off the hook sometimes?"

Of course, God just smiled, because it wasn't Him who overcommitted me to so many engagements this spring; that was my own folly and my own pride.

And last Friday I pulled up my bootstraps and got myself in my car as I drove two hours to a retreat where 150 women were awaiting me, excited.

As soon as I arrived I felt convicted. These women were so excited to be together, and for me it seemed like more time away from my family, when I just wanted to knit. And to top it all off, I had forgotten one of the four knitting needles necessary to knit the pair of socks I'm working on at home. So I couldn't even knit in my downtime to relax.

But the first thing that happened as I arrived was we were each asked to take a "blessing"--an inspirational thought printed out. I chose one, and it said,

I have given each of you a gift, for you to use to bless others. Go and bless those I give to you.
I smiled. I had been saying to God, "is it necessary for me to speak? Do I really make a difference? Is this really what you want me to spend my time on?" And He said a big, loud, "Yes!"

I had a wonderful feedback from the weekend, and the idyllic setting helped me to just quiet my heart. I spoke Friday night, and Saturday morning, and Saturday night, and Sunday morning, yet I had all Saturday afternoon to rest and think and pray and type.

It's Saturday now, though this post won't be up until Monday. And again I am struck by God talking to me about purpose. I told the women this morning, as I have mentioned on this blog before, that the two big lies that our culture believes are, "You deserve to be happy", and "you would be happy if you just tried a little harder." And even though I know these things are lies, I tend to fall into them. I tend to think that the purpose of life is for me to relax and have fun, and hence work interferes with my purpose.

But work is our purpose. I am not saying htat we all need to be superwomen, but there is a balance, isn't there? Our lives should mean something. We are put on this earth to get to know God, to learn to serve Him, and to introduce others to Him. There is great joy in that. Everything else is secondary. Part of getting to know God, of course, is also learning to abide in His rest, to appreciate quiet moments, to find joy in solitude. It is not that we need to be super busy all the time. And yet getting to know God also involves finding what we were created to do.

For whatever reason, and I don't mean this in a proud way, I was created to communicate truths about God to people. I feel hopelessly inadequate for the task. I do not spend two hours in contemplation everyday. There are days when my prayer life is rather abysmal. And yet God still pushes me out there, and He still does wonderful things through me--or perhaps I should say despite me.

Others of us have been chosen for different things. I am in awe of some of the mom blogs I read, and the creativity some of you have, especially with large families. You know how to love, and live, and cook, and find joy. Others of you are just so organized, and you teach the world and lead by example. Some of you are born teachers, or born nurses, or whatever it may be.

Don't take that for granted. Don't think "I'm only doing this until retirement," and then I can rest, or "I'm only going to be this buys until the kids grow, and hten I can calm down." Perhaps your life will be less busy, but don't ever let it be less meaningful.

I think we believe too much that we work hard now in order to rest--as if resting is the goal of life. We would be happier and more at peace, I think, if we took periodic rest now so that we could know God, feel God, and thus be energized to live for Him, not just now, but forever. We are not to work ourselves out of work; we are to rest enough that we can focus on God and continue to work, in whatever capacity He calls us, until we go home.

So I will keep asking God to make more more excited about work, and to help me take the rest I need when the opportunity presents itself. And I will stop telling myself that my goal in life is to have limitless time to go on vacation and knit. Knitting is wonderful, but I can do that while I work. If only I remember my needles.

What about you? Do you struggle with getting motivated to work? Let me know so I don't feel like the only lazy one!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 9:07 AM , Blogger Llama Momma said…

Thank you for your honesty in this post, Sheila.

This is such a balancing act, isn't it? God calls us to work and sacrifice. He also calls us to rest and just BE.

Our family has started carving out a day of rest each week. Not in a legalistic way, but in a genuine, we-have-got-to-slow-down way. We worship together. We eat simple meals or leftovers, we turn off the TV and computer and play games, we talk, we nap.

I always resisted the whole day of rest thing because I thought I was too busy...now I feel like it is necessary BECAUSE I'm so busy! I find I'm usually able to dive right into work the next week and I'm more productive on the other days.

For this season, it's helping me find balance.

Thank you for continuing to bless others with your words!

 

At 6:57 PM , Blogger E. Tyler Rowan said…

I teared up when I read the blessing God gave you. What encouragement! Thank you for being obedient to His call.

 

At 10:53 PM , Blogger Hippie4ever said…

Beautiful post :)

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails