Sheila's Books
Click on the covers to read more or order autographed copies!







My Webrings



Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Members!





Photobucket


Photobucket





Medical Billing
Medical Billing



Advertising
For ALL Your Graphic Needs

Dine Without Whine - A Family 

Friendly Weekly Menu Plan
Breaking the Cycle
Every Friday my syndicated family column "Reality Check" appears in a bunch of newspapers. Here's this week's!


When my children were babies, my husband was finishing up his residency program at the Hospital for Sick Children. His barbaric schedule frequently placed him on call for thirty-six hours straight, returning home for twelve hours before starting another long shift. Because he was so sleep-deprived, I felt no resentment about being the one to get up with the babies. It was only fair.

Cry BabyImage by Chalky Lives via Flickr


Then came that blissful month when Keith was on an adolescent medicine rotation. No call! We decided that we would divide the middle-of-the-night responsibilities 50/50. I was ecstatic.

On Keith’s first baby shift, I woke up to Rebecca’s cries, but Keith just lay there like a stone. I shook him. “It’s your turn, honey.” But that man would not wake up. Finally, I climbed out of bed myself, went to the telephone, and called the hospital. A few seconds later Keith’s pager went off and he was up like a rocket. He dialed in to switchboard, only to hear the woman on the other end tell him, “Go get your baby. She’s crying.”

Keith had trained himself to hear pagers, but everything else went over his head. It’s not so surprising, really. We humans can’t pay attention to everything, so we tend to notice those things which we deem most important. This trait starts in childhood, when we try to make sense of the world around us. Little children learn to call four legged yappy creatures with fur “doggies”, whether they are Chihuahuas or Great Danes. Two legged creatures with beaks and wings are “birdies”, whether they’re Canada geese or sparrows. Kids see the similarities, and disregard the differences.

When you’re eighteen months old and trying to figure out what a “kitty” is, that’s not a bad strategy. Unfortunately, we often carry this habit into our relationships, selectively noticing the things that reinforce what we already believe. Two legged creatures in skirts who share our homes are nagging wives who never notice anything good their husbands do. Two legged creatures with beards who make permanent indents in the couch while expecting the female to cook them dinner are lazy, ungrateful husbands.

We may not notice when that same lazy, good for nothing bearded excuse for a man tells us we look pretty today, because we’re used to being mad at him. We see the negative, because it conforms to what we already expect.

Often relationships get into these negative cycles because you’re genuinely hurt by something your spouse, or your mother, or your brother has done. You haven’t resolved that hurt, and so everything is now seen through that lens. All those little foibles that didn’t used to bug you now start driving you crazy.

A ballroom dancing couple. Illustration by Dav...Image via Wikipedia


After my column last week on ballroom dancing, a friend wrote to tell me how he and his wife broke their cycle of negativity. They started taking dance lessons once a week, too, and a miracle happened. As they struggled to learn the steps, they were forced out of their comfort zone. They learned and experienced something new together. But most importantly, they started to laugh. And when you laugh, all those bad feelings seem to not matter quite so much. Instead of rehashing their negative past, they just started enjoying themselves in the present.

We often forget how important simply having fun together can be, especially when our daily life gets so busy and overwhelming. Next time you find yourself constantly mad at someone, and bothered by just about everything they do, break the cycle. Look for the exceptions. Do something unexpected. Most importantly, try adding some laughter. You just may find that those good things you used to love are still there after all.



Don't miss a Reality Check! Sign up here to receive it FREE in your inbox every week!


Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 11:35 AM , Blogger Moms In Need Of Mercy said…

Hi Sheila! Just stopping by to say hi. Saw your coment on my guest post @ Org Junkie! http://orgjunkie.com/2010/02/seven-habits-of-highly-successful-homemakers.html
Just wanted to say I have your book & I used to work at Kregel in publicity during college! I will have to email you--I would love to post an interview with you on my blog sometime (and a book giveaway, if you're game)! cheryl@momsinneedofmercy.com

 

At 12:48 PM , Blogger LauraLee Shaw said…

Awesome stuff! In my 20 years of marriage (in a few weeks), the Lord has certainly called us to "shake things up" more than a time or two. It's what it takes sometimes, especially if the cycle is negative. Wise words, my sister.

 

At 7:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

Growing up watching a constantly nagging wife and a perpetual lazy husband, I made up my mind that I would not have that same kind of marriage. While it's not always easy, I try very hard to only think positive thoughts about my husband. More importantly, I *always* talk my husband up to others. I *never* vent about him as I heard in church one day that if we have issues with our spouses, we should tell our spouse, not others. It's advice that has served me well.

 

At 7:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said…

Growing up watching a constantly nagging wife and a perpetual lazy husband, I made up my mind that I would not have that same kind of marriage. While it's not always easy, I try very hard to only think positive thoughts about my husband. More importantly, I *always* talk my husband up to others. I *never* vent about him as I heard in church one day that if we have issues with our spouses, we should tell our spouse, not others. It's advice that has served me well.

 

At 10:13 PM , Blogger Tiffany said…

The story about you paging your husband is so funny! That could have been my story! (Except since my husband can't stand anything to do with needles or blood, there is no way he could ever be a doctor.) I will have to tell him this story. He will get a kick out of it! Thanks for sharing!

 
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


About Me

Name: Sheila

Home: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

About Me: I'm a Christian author of a bunch of books, and a frequent speaker to women's groups and marriage conferences. Best of all, I love homeschooling my daughters, Rebecca and Katie. And I love to knit. Preferably simultaneously.

See my complete profile

Follow This Blog:

 Subscribe to To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Follow on Twitter:
Follow on Facebook:


Important Links
Previous Posts


Categories
Popular Archived Posts
Archives
Christian Blogs
Mom Blogs
Marriage/Intimacy Blogs
Blogs For Younger/Not Yet Married Readers
Housework Blogs
Cooking/Homemaking Blogs
Writing Links
Credits
Blog Design by Christi Gifford www.ArtDesignsbyChristi.com

Images from www.istockphoto.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails